1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough sound??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by FinnMc1, Nov 1, 2010.

1. FinnMc1

FinnMc1 Member

Hi guys, had my s3 for nearly 2yrs now and its always had a slight noise when driving slow in 1st or 2nd but recently its started making the noise in 3rd too and is starting to get annoying. anyone got any experience with this. i have a new clutch in and she sounds fine once i get to 4th, its worst in 3rd when i take my foot of the accelerator. sounds like a grinding noise kinda???
    Any info would be great
  2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

cv joints,
    heat sheild on the propshaft....?
  3. FinnMc1

FinnMc1 Member

Ive had her checked over recently and they didnt find anything wrong but the heatshield might have been over looked. have you ever noticed that kinda sound before.
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Where is the noise from?

My guess would be box related due to it being gear specific. A few members on here have had to have parts replaced recently due to 'boxes breaking
  5. FinnMc1

FinnMc1 Member

ye i was hoping it wasnt the gearbox. its from the front somehwere and slightly to the left side id say, maybe if i put her in gear up on a ramp might be able to trace it. she does have that trade make rough change between 1st and 2nd but othewise seems ok apart from the sound. doesnt make the noise when accelerating either. only when stead in gear or slowing in gear
  6. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

the gearbox is on the left hand side as you sit in the driver seat
  7. FinnMc1

FinnMc1 Member

ye i know i was praying there was some cheaper simpler fix for the noise haha. ah well. theres not always a simple solution i guess.