1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotational Rattling Noise From Drivers Side Front Wheel...Please help!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Nickpap, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Nickpap

Nickpap Member

[Feb 2, 2010]
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help?

Whilst driving to work this morning, I was waiting at the traffic lights. Whilst doing so, I was preparing for the lights to change to green, and had the car in gear (S3-2003). Whilst in gear, I was roling back and moving forward, and whilst moving backwards I could hear a metal, tin type noise. The noise was coming from the drivers side front wheel.

Anyway, whilst driving forward, the noise didnt occur. Again, at another set of lights further down, i did the same thing, and was moving back and forth....the noise was occuring whilst rolling backwards.

By the time I finished work and got into the car, the noise seemed to be getting worse, and louder. Now this metal/rattling/tinny noise occurs when driving in a straight line backwards or forwards, and around bends. It actually sounds rotational, and basically the faster I drive, the faster the noise is, the slower i drive the slower the noise is...yet louder at slow speeds.

For reference, the sound does not occur when stationary, or when revving.

Thanks for reading, and your help/advice is appreciated.

Nick
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 3, 2010]
    CV joint ? check for oil on the inside of the wheels