1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rota Grids sorted, but idle problems!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by J Eyo, Jan 8, 2014.

1. J Eyo

J Eyo Member

[Jan 8, 2014]

See the vid, more details are; coming up to 11 years old, new MAF, new DV, tried to change over the n75 but my old one seems to be 100%, I'm doing a n249 bypass when my pipe arrives, pretty much doing everything to try eliminate this problem. Didn't mention that when it first starts sometimes its very reluctant, then sort of explodes to life and sounds like its really struggling before stabilising. There is soon to be an upgraded TIP, intake, exhaust and remap but want to solve this starting and idle issue first. On a different note, the rotas fit (18x9.5 et38) with the stretched 225 tyres, there's even enough room for a good drop later on. The idle problem is a bit hard to see and hear in the vid but its there, its worse when the car settles and the choke isn't really applying itself. It seems before i changed the MAF it was quite a lot worse, any ideas as to whats causing this? Bad plugs, a coil pack maybe? or do these engines just have a slight pulse at idle? Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Hi mate,
    From the vid it doesn't look all too bad, I personally don't think the idle hunts very much. From other vids I've seen with idle problems this is good in comparison.
    But, if you don't think the car is running too smooth other things you can do is:
    Clean the throttle body
    Have a smoke test to look for leaks
    spark plugs changed and gapped the same.
    Also what filter do you have on their?
  4. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

[Jan 8, 2014]
    That's smoother than my idle, I don't think mines a problem...
  5. J Eyo

J Eyo Member

[Jan 19, 2014]
    Doesn't it worry you though that idle should not move at all? Its the first car ive ever owned that does this, seems odd and can only be a sign of something wrong
  6. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

[Jan 19, 2014]
    To say they are 18's they do look small?

I wouldn't worry about that idle but have you cleaned the throttle body?
  7. J Eyo

J Eyo Member

[Mar 19, 2014]
    yup cleaned the TB, look small because of the stretch on the tyre :D definitely needs to be lowered to look right :( just having coil over issues as I've got about 2mm of clearance inside :( View attachment 29702

Attached Files:

8. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Mar 19, 2014]
    haha.

I had someone come to be about a similar idle problem before, I diagnosed a few cold beers and an evening in front of the telly to chill out and relax :laugh:

An engine isn't a completely perfect unit, when it's running, it's effectively 'breathing'

Do you think you breathe 100% uniformly in your sleep?

Engines will often not run like a sowing machine below 1000rpm, as it's got another 6000 far more useful revs it needs to be optimised for.

If it drives OK, I'd stop worrying Matt. I see no fault there at all, just a mild case of OCD
  9. J Eyo

J Eyo Member

[Mar 20, 2014]
    It wouldn't bother me too much except, when I unplug my front egt sensor it idles perfectly, also without a pressure drop between turbo and manifold code present the engine goes psycho, it only runs smooth with this code actually active and finally, I get massive amounts of over rev between gears when under boost , a good 800-1000rmp surge when ever I change under heavy throttle :/ I feel it's all one big related problem, massively struggling to find what the cause is. I've done almost every mentioned fix and cure without success :( I'm waiting on a new clutch switch, the next thing would have to be new throttle body, everything else has been replaced by performance or brand new parts! I'm also pretty sure it's drinking fuel, only getting roughly 570km to a tank
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  10. Gary_808

Gary_808 Member

[Mar 20, 2014]
    is there a way of logging the egt sensor in vcds?

sounds very similar to my issues,
    my idle slightly blips,
    and my revs run away big style on gear change some times

no fault codes but shocking fuel consumption.