Roof-rack pics on A4

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
I've put together a roof-rack system for the A4... it took a bit of modification and 'extra' parts to get it all to fit the extra wide Votex roof bars. I took it to my local dub meet on Sunday and took this pic.

What do you think?

a4_rac10.jpg

I dont get it? Is it a functional mod? or some new craze in the dub scene? (i notice the car next to yours also has one....)

I dont particularly like the look of roof racks, to me its just something you nail on the roof when you have no other choice in order to carry something big?

Maybe i've missed the point :p

Aaaaah, you're missing the point. :haudrauf:

It's the 'dub-scene' fella.

Watch out for the next mod...

ha ha.
I have an avant. looks much better with roof bars and rails.
I have Thule flat profile bars. seen some serious action.
two couches!
300kg of Ikea's finest flat packery! that was a slow journey home!
half a Golf Gti chopped up for a Dub sale!

best things I have ever bought.

lol, i guess its completely lost on me then.

If i want to cart stuff around i'd rather throw it in my land rover.

I recon it detracts from the look of the car, but each to their own i guess!

Do you intend on driving around with it fitted all the time?

as a mod I think it looks *****.
as a thing to lug crap around it works

I like it! I know what you're going for don't worry! The wind deflector looks cool. I was thinking Nogaro blue roof box......

You had a rack on your Jetta didn't you?

Last edited:
Some more rockin the roof bars!

2007summer07hh7.jpg

rs4rollingback.jpg

3542023141_26e4197272_b.jpg

krisside2jr2qk8cx5.jpg

Lovin the Dubkorp RS4 and the Balls deep S4!

if your not using to put anything on it, would really increase drag thus extra fuel,

if your not using to put anything on it, would really increase drag thus extra fuel,

*snore* :blahblah1: :laugh: :moa:

Yeah, the Jetta was rocking one too. The A4 has yet to receive roof-mounted-associated accessories yet, so it probably looks a bit out-of-place for those who don't get it...

Here's the old Jetta... (you can see I like 'em low!)

jet1aj8.jpg

145.jpg

jet4lk9.jpg

Liking the avant.... Stinky didn't look quite that cool with teh bars oon, but we were carrying a couple of Orange kayaks.. and yes...drag = low economy! Thought I was driving a 1.8t ;O) !!!!

I'd only run a roof rack if I needed to shift bulky items, not as a fashion accessory.

And I'd probably buy a wagon if I did have to shift bulky items, and perhaps fit cross bars to the regular roof rails, if the interior space wasn't enough to take the load.

If you also need to shift bulky items, an excessively lowered car is hardly practical...

*sigh*

I'm not going to be moving bulky items. If I wanna do that, I'll use my C-Class estate! This is an accessory, and if you're not really into the 'dub' scene, then I guess you won't a) get it, and b) appreciate the difficulty sourcing the right bits and c) like what else I'm going to do!

It's funny though... I post pics of my car up on my local club forum (and others in the 'scene') and it gets greeted with open arms and positive comments... I post pics of it up on here (and Audi forum) and the majority of people start to pick fault with it and sound like grumpy old men wearing flat caps and smoking pipes! Unless, of course, it's sarcasm and I'm just not intelligent enough to pick up on it! :whistle2: (that was double sarcasm)

But, everyone is entitled to their own personal opinions, and as the well worn out saying goes... if everyone was the same, blah blah blah.

:happy:

i remember seeing several mk1 golfs years ago with roof racks, everything chromed and a real retro old fashioned look (but running air susp. and modified 20v engines) they were purely show cars and looked pretty cool
but a roof rack on an a4 idont get it

The A4 (and the Audi marque itself) is apart of the dub scene whether you like it or not - hence the attendance of this forum at GTi International just the other week. What don't you get about it?

Here's my old Mk2 with one on as well... (there's a theme running... can you see it?)

golf_111.jpg

Geeman, relax - it's a public forum.

You posted up pictures of A4's with roof racks, and asked opinions - in your words, "what do you think?"

Some may like them, some won't - I for one don't like them, but that's just me. Would you rather people pretended they liked it, so they don't offend you? It's not my car, I won't be driving it, you will! As long as you're happy with it, why does it matter so much how others perceive B5's with roof racks?

I style my car the way I like, and in the same way, some may hate it, and say so - but I couldn't really care less, as long as it pleases me, that's all that matters.

A theme is only of value to those that are into it, those that aren't will find it useless, which is not to say it's right or wrong to fit a roof rack to your own car - simple!

I've put together a roof-rack system for the A4... it took a bit of modification and 'extra' parts to get it all to fit the extra wide Votex roof bars. I took it to my local dub meet on Sunday and took this pic.

What do you think?

a4_rac10.jpg

looks awesome mate, i have a thule rack on mine with thule basket! i really want to get a fairing but find it really hard to get hold of them, where did you get yours from?

i think a lot of people don't get the whole rack thing, but each to their own i guess, i love mine. only actually used it once for a camping trip, other than that i leave it on for meets etc...

I don't have any photos, but I've taken to driving around with a grandfather clock sticking out of my boot recently. I like the look.

What do you guys think? :slapped:

Seriously, though, I understand the 'dub scene and all that, and the first chap do bring a retro roof rack and picnic set along atop his dropped VW Derby on Ronals must have recieved a standing ovation.

But that was then. Geemans car looks awesome, with or without the roof rack. When I see it with the rack it just looks like a nice car with a rack on it. I fully expect every single car at every coming 'dub meet to have a Paddy Hopkirk Halfords roof rack on the top, and then the individualswill be those who dare to turn up with no rack. They'll call it the "naked look".

So, Geeman, your car looks awesome with or without the roof rack. But in non 'dub scene circles, having a roof rack on board could be dubbed the Montego Countryman or Cortina Estate look......

Last edited:
:beerchug:

I am relaxed and chilled out. Just pointing out the different responses I get on the different platforms.

Cheers for the positive comments, and I really don't mind the semi-negative ones either... honest! You'd have hated the Jetta when I had a boot-rack on it though!

Jimmy... the Thule fairing is from the U.S. bud - can't seem to get them from anywhere else. Just Google it...

Well that put a smile on my face at the end of a pretty rubbish day! So many things I could say, but I shall leave well alone!

One thing I have noticed though, yes it's a public forum, and naturally everyones entitled to their opinions, and Geeman did ask for them, but there's a difference between expressing your opinion on someones mods, whether you like them or not, and just being plain rude!

I wanna know what mods are coming next now!

Last edited:
I have to say... when i first saw this... I thought what the hell has he done!?. But after a while, and keep looking at the picture. it doesnt look too bad, i quite like it actually.

Still, don't think Ill have one on mine just yet! ;) lol.

nice work mate. Like the grille :salute:

Geeman, i don't get it i want less on my car, not more,lol

I have yet to see a rat look Audi tho..... maybe i should grind my paint off to be the first..!

Aragorn, you're a sick, sick man! What coilovers did I use? I can't seem to get them set up right.... Good work, fella!:applaus:

My girlfriend only loves me for my massive clock....

Aragorn, you're a sick, sick man! What coilovers did I use? I can't seem to get them set up right.... Good work, fella!:applaus:

My girlfriend only loves me for my massive clock....
Airride FTW.

It looks like you may have mis spelt a word there mate ^^

LMAO

So... I'm planning on putting bull-bars on the front for the next mod. Might even put some rally-style rear mud flaps on... on no, hang on, my car's too low for them. Whoops.

P.S. shocking Photoshop skills. :lmfao:

Go on slam it!! if it aint rubbin it aint dubbin.....even though its a frigging Audi!!!!!!!!!!!
Does that mean we're not allowed to take styling cues from any other manufacturer modding scenes? I might as well take my ball home, sell the A4 and get a decent car then. :sob:

Funny thing is, my A4 (and certain other A4's I know) have been welcomed with open arms by other scenes and forums... even had magazine articles written on them. Shame it doesn't seem to be really reciprocated here, for some strange reason.

If I take my roof-rack off & raise the suspension, will you all love me again?

Last edited:
Geeman, you're taking things the wrong way.

You love the roof rack on your B5 - fine. It works for you, that's what counts.

The fact magazines feature certain cars shouldn't be used as a benchmark when it comes to modifying your car - I have seen certain magazine features on cars you wouldn't be seen dead in. The fact is, these magazine articles are collated by humans too, with diverse taste. So, there's got to be a balance between what actually looks good, is practical, and what the public actually wants to read.

*sigh*

I'm not going to be moving bulky items. If I wanna do that, I'll use my C-Class estate! This is an accessory, and if you're not really into the 'dub' scene, then I guess you won't a) get it, and b) appreciate the difficulty sourcing the right bits and c) like what else I'm going to do!

It's funny though... I post pics of my car up on my local club forum (and others in the 'scene') and it gets greeted with open arms and positive comments... I post pics of it up on here (and Audi forum) and the majority of people start to pick fault with it and sound like grumpy old men wearing flat caps and smoking pipes! Unless, of course, it's sarcasm and I'm just not intelligent enough to pick up on it! :whistle2: (that was double sarcasm)

But, everyone is entitled to their own personal opinions, and as the well worn out saying goes... if everyone was the same, blah blah blah.

:happy:

There there lad, all in good fun I guess... :nyah:.. I must admit, I have considered the rack spoiler in the past when we were carrying the kayak gear more often, it would help with the areos and wouldn't look to bad left on either... Lovin Aragorns picture, should have signed him up to do Stinkys photos for ebay!

Dude... believe me, I'm not taking things the wrong way at all. I am probably the most laid back person you'll meet and I have no intention of raising the car up or deleting anything I've done to it thus far.

I just find some of the comments (and images) from some of the members on here who obviously don't get/appreciate/understand other peoples styling cues relatively funny.

I would NEVER paint my car purple, but I've not commented on it in a negative manner (okay, I might have joked about it at Inters a bit), nor would I ever dream of putting horrible GB stamped plates on my car or paint my car two-tone black and yellow... but I still don't make snide comments about these modifications!

I understand that subtle de-badging and 20mm suspension drops are about as far as most people go here with the appearance of their cars, and I appreciate that practicality is probably foremost in most peoples minds, so there's no offence taken with any of the comments people make on here with regards to MY car. In fact, it makes me want to cosmetically modify it even more! :ninja:

Bring it on!

Yeah man, you're cool. Take it from me I'm a jazz musician....:drag: I agree, and I have been guilty in the past about poking fun at folks cars. I like the dub mod. Question though.... do you get the bar hum from the rack when driving, if I left the bars on without a load it soudned like I was being chased by a UFO above 40, or the deflector remove this prob?

Nope... no bar-hum (well, very minimal above 80ish)

I contacted Thule direct for this very reason and they were kind enough to send me some rubber strip insert for the top slots to combat this FREE OF CHARGE!!! And of course, the deflector removes 90% of the wind noise anyway.