1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roof not opening

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by noddy tt, Apr 11, 2010.

1. noddy tt

noddy tt Reidy

[Apr 11, 2010]
    HI THERE, Summer has arrived in Glasgow!!!!! guess what my roof has decided not to work!!!! i now have an A4 nonvertible sorry convertible. i used the roof the day before and everything was fine,however this morning i jumped in to the car sun shining pressed the roof button.... no lights on dash or anything (is the switch broken). I used the tool to manually open the roof pushed it open and the roof will close automatically using the switch. Any ideas / suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for reading.

The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow i believe so no rush:sadlike:
  2. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Apr 11, 2010]
    sounds like the button to me may just need to clean the conectors
  3. noddy tt

noddy tt Reidy

[Apr 12, 2010]

Spot on! Used a voltage meter to check the switch for continuity. I then worked out what wires were what then bridged the wires with a staple hey presto the roof opened. I then stripped the switch and one of the metal contacts had moved, re-aligned them refitted all parts and now works fine up and down. Quote for new switch was £35+ so im well chuffed . If it breaks again i will use the staple permanently HA HA . Thanks. SUN IS SHINING, ROOF DOWN AND HOPE TO GET STUCK IN TRAFIC TO TOP UP THE TAN :jump:
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 12, 2010]
    Bloody hell Simon, well done lol !
  5. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Apr 12, 2010]
    ha i knew id get one of the ??? right on here one day lol