1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROOF MOUNTED BIKE CARRIER - WHICH ONE ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by shilts, Oct 9, 2010.

1. shilts

shilts Member

[Oct 9, 2010]
    Hi , i am having roof rails factory fitted to my sportback and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good system for roof mounting bikes . I have heard about 'thurle' but am i better off going for audi's own set up . I'm guessing that roof mounted would be preferable to rear mounted . Any help would be much appreciated , thanks . :icon_thumright:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Oct 9, 2010]
    TBH mate get the detachable towbar fitted, its a much neater better system to use for bikes, its invisible when not in use.

If its to late to include on order then I can retrofit the oem kit.
  4. Yaks

Yaks Member

[Oct 9, 2010]
    I've got the Audi roofbars ( picked them up cheap on eBay ) and 2 Thule bike carriers ( which I had from a previous car ). The Thule kit fits perfectly onto the Audi roofbars.
  5. shilts

shilts Member

[Oct 9, 2010]
    Thanks guy's . NHN , thanks for the offer , i'd like to have a look at this set up as i hadn't thought of it . I don't take the bikes out all that often so i'd have to weigh up the cost versus roof mounted . Yaks , how many bikes is it possible to carry with the thurle set up , thanks .
  6. Yaks

Yaks Member

[Oct 10, 2010]
    Thule, not Thurle, btw :)

I've seen some cars with 4 bike carriers on a set of roof bars - might be OK if some of them were kids bikes, otherwise the handlebars would be getting in each others way I'd thinkl. As I said above, I've got two, and this works no problems