1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof bars for A3/S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by julians, Dec 5, 2007.

1. julians

julians Member

[Dec 5, 2007]
    When I bought my S3 I tried to order some official roof bars from audi , but I was told they no longer sell them as they have had some problems, they couldnt elaborate on what the problems were.

Anyway, I now have the car and audi still dont sell the bars (despite them being listed in the catalog), so I bought some 3rd party ones (thule), they fit fine and see to be just the job.

I was wondering does anyone know why audi withdrew the official bars? or has anyone had any problems with either the official bars or the thule ones?
  2. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Dec 5, 2007]
    Not heard of it, not that I was asking. But try gr1zly, I know he has roof bars:
    [​IMG]
  3. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Dec 6, 2007]
    I've got the Thule ones too and they fit fine with zero damage to the car, I only use them approx twice per year but really useful with the S3's shallow boot.

I wouldn't be surprised if a comany like Thule make the Audi ones anyway and just rebrand accordingly.
  4. donvas

donvas New Member

[Dec 6, 2007]
    They are damaging the roor seals ,that why they have withdrawn these bars......
  5. julians

julians Member

[Dec 7, 2007]
    ah I see, I guess that probably applies to all makes of bars as they probably all attach in a similar way.

GUess, I'll just take the risk, got to get my mountain bike moved about somehow.