RobMorris ICE install journal

RobMorris

Reaction score
Chaps

Let me first say this is my first attempt of what Id call a proper install.
Ive never used sound deadening before and in the past the best ive had is some 6x9s and a sub in a pre made box shoved in the corner of the boot.

Il be working on a budget/using what ive got/accumalated over the years.. and its just for personal use IE im not going into any comps etc!

Plans -
Stock Concert Head Unit
Silent coat the whole boot/door cards/rear panels
6.5" Dragster Mid Bass components in the doors along with stock tweeters running off the HU
6.5" Dragster Mid bass components in the rear qtr panels running off a 2ch Fusion amp.
Choice of 8" RE Sub, 12" Fusion Sub, 15" Vibe Sub

I want to build a false floor holding the amps and sub.
But I want to keep the spare wheel so the floor needs to hinge and I want enough room left over for either my golf clubs or the babys buggy!

A tall order?

Today I started by pulling out all the boot panels and the stock sub/amp box and covering as much as i can in the deadening.
IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

I then thought I might aswell pull the rear seats out to sound deaden where needed and to give me easy access to removing the rear qtr panels

IMG_0677.jpg

With the rear qtr panels off I removed the stock speakers and began to lay sound deadening inside the hole. I also put on a deadening 'gasket' ready for the speakers.

IMG_0678.jpg

I took off the hatch cover and put small pieces of sound deadening in where I could and shoved some cut up towel in to help with vibrations.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Ok so thats all for today. Perhaps il try to draw something up for the false floor and you guys can critique it..?

Any ideas/views welcome.

Cheers

Looking good Rob!

I've been out all weekend doing mine actually, took far longer than i'd anticipated!

Ok so I have used my skillzzzzzz and have knocked this up.
This is obviously a false floor install (I hope its obvious!)
The hexagon below piece is to fit within the spare wheel 'crevis'?
The centre piece is to house the amps and somehow attach to the boot floor but be able to lift up so I can get to the spare?
The top piece is to attach to the centre piece to create the sub enclosure..
And then the lid to rest on the top with a hole/grill to allow the boom boom to come through.

What do we think?
Hinging the lid seems pretty simple but how would I hinge the below whole piece/enclosure?
And then fix it all together with no vibrations...

Cheers

bottomboxpiece.png

Whats your plans Nick?

Well it's been a case of replacing the head unit and speakers, which sounds simple but I had to overcome a few issues after moving to an aftermarket head unit and then decided that my speakers could be better.

So today was installing components up front and some coaxials in the rear and a bit of sound deadening. I was going to fit a 4ch amp but on hearing it today i'm actually quite pleased as it is so may just keep them running off the head unit as i've already spent a fortune on doing the other car this year.

Ok so I have used my skillzzzzzz and have knocked this up.
This is obviously a false floor install (I hope its obvious!)
The hexagon below piece is to fit within the spare wheel 'crevis'?
The centre piece is to house the amps and somehow attach to the boot floor but be able to lift up so I can get to the spare?
The top piece is to attach to the centre piece to create the sub enclosure..
And then the lid to rest on the top with a hole/grill to allow the boom boom to come through.

What do we think?
Hinging the lid seems pretty simple but how would I hinge the below whole piece/enclosure?
And then fix it all together with no vibrations...

Cheers

If it was me doing this Rob, i'd be tempted to not bother hinging the centre section and just ensuring it can be lifted out in the event the spare wheel needs to be accessed, because lets face it you don't need to use the spare that often, and trying to hinge that centre section is going to be a lot of grief.

Top section hinged is a good plan though so you can access the amps for adjustment etc.

To stop any vibrations, how about making a bottom layer of foam about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick that acts as a cushion or damper between the bottom layer and the boot of the car, you could stick that to the underside of the bottom section of your install and perhaps some around the hex shaped piece too..

Reactions: RobMorris
Good idea re. the foam to stop vibrations. I think il go with that..
Yeah im not convinced on my lower hinge idea. Perhaps as you say, just lift the whole thing up to access the spare if/when needed. Perhaps just have strong strap attached to pull it up as its going to weigh a hefty bit..

Some progress made this weekend

Midbass speaker MDF 'gasket' made and installed. I also filled the panel with the 'cloud 9 wannabe'
IMG_0687.jpg

Glove compartment removed and wiring run thanks to Andy Macs instructions..
IMG_0688.jpg

Bottom piece shaped, wheel recess cut and sides cut.
IMG_0690.jpg

And some struts put in..
IMG_0691.jpg

Im pretty much winging it as i go.. and having to make changes as i go also so who knows how it will finish!
Im having fun so thats all that matters...

Cheers

Cheers mate - no not done anything like this before!
Ive had to buy in some new tools etc and its taking ages but im having fun doing it!
The plan keeps changing as i find little problems and ideas on the way... All a learning curve.

done a few boot builds in my time so any help give me a shout though has been a year or so since i did one lol...best bit of any job buying new tools

Wow That's 1 big *** sub .....What size is it ?

Its just a little 15"... ha ha
I may go for twin 10s/12s later on if I get annoyed with the 15"
Although im gonna run it in quite a small box (about 1.5cft) so should be a bit punchier compared to when i run it in my merc (2.5cft) which I think I will enjoy more..

I forgot to update this - poor pics im affraid but this is how it ended up like and it THUMPED!
I say thump'ed' because ive ripped out the sub box to go with a smaller/simple set up. The bass was killing my ears.. ha ha

037.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg