Road tax!

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
I went to get my road tax today at the good old post office along with my insurance policy & mot certificate. I hand the two of them over along with the form requesting 12 months tax. The woman behind the counter looks at my insurance policy and say's " this is and old policy it is dated for last year". Doh! I obviously picked my old policy out of the wallet i keep all my documents in at home. This was at 5oclock & the post office shuts at half 5 so i wouldn't have enough time to drive home and get back to the post office especially at that time of day (rush hour). I cheekily ask if she can let me off but of course she said no, fair enough she was only doing her job. As i was driving home i thought to myself, what kind of person would drive about with no insurance but happily pay for there road tax. I think if people dont give a **** about been insured they definitley wont give 2 flying ****s about road tax! Anyway i'll make sure i bring the correct policy tomorrow lol.

LOL! I know this feeling, the woman wouldn't accept my photocopied insurance certificate that was sent to me by post after I requested it! I went home and purchased it online in 2miuntes flat!! Screw the postoffice! lol

On another note, it's possible that you was taxing a parked up car ready to sell to some one else etc., so many reasons why you would want roadtax without insurance for them to just 'let you off', so it's safer for them just to refuse to tax your car to be honest. Stick with the internet mate, you'll be fine!(and you'll save yourself some fuel in the process!!:))

Just do it online. MOT and insurance checks are automated and there is no need to queue with the smelly pensioners! You also get a few days grace to cover the time it takes to arrive by post. Easy peasy.

Do the post office actually key in some data from the insurance certificate to verify its authenticity or do they just inspect it using their own judgement?

Do the post office actually key in some data from the insurance certificate to verify its authenticity or do they just inspect it using their own judgement?

Inspect with their own judgement. My local mechanic can tax any car with his traders policy at the local post office!

Inspect with their own judgement. My local mechanic can tax any car with his traders policy at the local post office!

Ah, I see...

A mate of mine was buying a used car from down the country and his insurance policy didn't come through in the post in time to get the tax so he scanned in his old policy and used Photoshop to change the vehicle info and dates etc.. told me if worked a treat, haha.

Always do it online now, it looks cooler with a computerised tax disc too, rather than a hand written one!! ;)

Well i got my tax today lol. Much easier with the correct documents. I think i will do it online for now on, it will save me a lot of time lol.

this is what makes me laugh, what is the point of asking for it if they dont check its authenticity? especially with the new style mot certificate its all so easy to fake should you be that way inclined.

Tbh i do mine online its faster idiot free(ish) and i always seem to get the idiot that when the write it out they cant keep their writing in the box and its always messy, online its all printed so looks better i know its pathetic, i could get it done at work, weve got a full post office there as well as a cobblers and 2 hairdressers a laundrette an offlicence and 2 canteens lol... Overkill??