Road Tax Question?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
HELP!, I can't get my dad's car Tax'd!

My Dad has decided to go to HK for 6 weeks and left me to tax his vehicle. The car was orginally purchased over in Northern Ireland and he drove it over back to Blighty as he sold his business venture over there. He told me that new car's came with 4 years MOT over in Ireland, and the car was just over 3 years old, so I had to get an MOT done for him, which it passed. Now even with a valid MOT, insurance and the V5C doc, I'm unable to tax the car online or at my local post office, does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

What reason are the Post Office giving for not issuing tax?

Has the car been registered at Swansea?

As far as I know the DVLA (mainland) and the DVA (N.Ireland) are two seperate agencies. Check the registration documents. If they are for the DVA based in Coleraine then that is most likely your problem.

Should just be a simple matter of re-registering the car with Swansea (DVLA) were you will be given the option of getting a new registration plate or keeping the N.I one.

:meeting:

What reason are the Post Office giving for not issuing tax?
The system just won't let them do it?
Has the car been registered at Swansea?

As far as I know the DVLA (mainland) and the DVA (N.Ireland) are two seperate agencies. Check the registration documents. If they are for the DVA based in Coleraine then that is most likely your problem.

Should just be a simple matter of re-registering the car with Swansea (DVLA) were you will be given the option of getting a new registration plate or keeping the N.I one.

:meeting:

This could be the reason, cos the V5C is still addressed to Ireland! But I still managed to MOT it over here.

Thanks.

Best thing to do is go to a DVLA office which has an over the counter service (not many of them about Im afraid) and talk to them, I think you might have to fill out a form and 'import' the car into the country, even though NI is part of the UK. That way it gets put onto the UK DVLA database and you will get a DVLA V5 instead of the NI one. When I worked for the MOD in Germany even though my car was UK Spec, UK Plates, Taxed etc etc I would still have to go to Maidstone and 'import' it back into the country when it came to selling it.

Good Luck!

Oh I was still able to get my Passat MOT'ed while it was on MOD Number Plates (which didnt register in the UK), got some funny looks though. I think you even need the MOT to re-register the car in this country. (but I could be wrong)

Best thing is to contact DVLA tomorrow morning. Call swansea and if they dont help call the Ireland branch.
Also id do it asap so you dont get any fines.

The system just won't let them do it?

This could be the reason, cos the V5C is still addressed to Ireland! But I still managed to MOT it over here.

Thanks.

It probably is the reason. If we buy a car on the mainland, it has to be re-registered with Coleraine were you are given the option of replacing the English plate with an N.I one, so I'm pretty certain it works in reverse too.

It's a few years since my DVLA days, but unless the regs have changed since you WILL need to fill in some paper work to let Swansea know that you want to register it in the main land.
I'd suggest trying to contact your local office rather than Swansea though, I always found the guys at Swansea pretty unhelpful (even though I worked for the same branch of civil service); If I was being unkind I'd say the Swansea crowd probably had sticks inserted into a certain orifice as part of their training. ;)
You should be able to track down your nearest office from the DVLA site

I could well be wrong, but I think they'd want you to register the car with Swansea before you could declare it sorn with them. As I said though, your best bet is to contact your closest office. :)

Did you get your car tax sorted jojo?

I've sent off the registration form to register the car to Mainland UK today, I'm wasting my time talking to them. I will tax the car as soon as the V5C docs arrive, then see what happens.
That sounds about right for the DVLA mate, mores the pity. :banghead:
Honestly, in all my encounters with "civil" (lol) servants, (and I've worked for 3 different agencies as well as having to deal with too many others) I've found the DVLA to be the most self important and retentive of the lot, with the possible exception of the CSA. In comparison the MoD was positively laid back, but then I guess you can afford to be when you have heavy artillery. :)

Anyway, hope you manage to get the motor sorted soon mate. What did they suggest you do with it until the new V5 comes through? sorn?

Anyway, hope you manage to get the motor sorted soon mate. What did they suggest you do with it until the new V5 comes through? sorn?

They we're a bit clueless to be honest, the Irish DVLA won't let me SORN it online, so I didn't bother, as it would have been sent to the NI address. So I'm chancing the registering it to mainland and taxing it straight away. My dad is not in the country, so that's my excuse....

the Irish DVLA won't let me SORN it online

I couldn't even apply for my tax renewal online last week. The whole site seems to be pretty useless to me.