Road Angel Users Top Tip

spiker

trying to growl less these days
Reaction score
Hi all

Just thought I would share something with you guys regarding the Road Angel

I have a New Road Angel ( its not new its about 2 1/2 years old) its the one with the built in Lasr detector on top.

This is not on their website or documented anywhere but you can return the unit back to RA for a free upgrade which includes a feature to not only warn you about cameras but it now tells you the ACTUAL speed of the camera as well - very very useful. It also includes the option to warn you over a certain speed which is a feature most of us already have on the DIS anyway

Still a nice freebie if anyone is intersted - had mine back yesterday ( took 6 days) and works a treat

Note that you have to use a different version of the update software when its returned but RA supplied this software by return with the modified unit

I've got one of these, and no, I didn't know this. What do I have to do - just return it and say please can I have my upgrade? I've had mine for just over 3 years now.

could i buy a cheap one of ebay and return it, and receive a upgraded 1
would this work or does it have to be registered in my name in the first place

Just open a support case through the road angel web site and they will email you a returns form which you complete and return with the unit for the free upgrade

Try here
http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/contact-us.htm

and fill out the form

Should take about 7-10 days to return the unit and its well worth it

As regards buying one on ebay as long as its serial has not been reported stolen they can transfer the ownership to you subject to you paying the annual or lifetime membership for the updates and then get the free upgrade

Interesting to hear they're actually going ahead with this now. I remember that there was an item on the knowledge base a while ago saying they were working on an update but that just vanished. I called them some months ago and they offered to do it but at more or less the same time the power-cable for my unit went faulty and I've just not sorted it out. I only do two journeys most of the time and I know where all the cameras/hotspots are so I've just not got around to it!

It's good to hear that the updated firmware is working well for people. I think I'll dig mine out and get on it!

...It's a shame they're not doing it as a download as originally planned though!

Regards,

Rob.

Yeah - I kind of get the feeling they are deliberately NOT advertising this

I have trawled their site regularly after seeing a similar post to you that said this would be publically available last Jan

You have to make the contact and arrange it yourself and they then seemed happy to help

sounds interesting

do you have to be subscribing ??

mine lapsed ages ago

Well i guess you would have to be subscribing

If you were not then the database would be out of date anyway so it would seem pointless getting the update anyway - even if they would do it

Cant speak highly enough of blackspot (R/A) after mine got stole last year , when ii reported it to them they offered a BIG discount on a new one,
But thankfully my mates broke(out of waranaty) and he bought a new one , gave me the old one, so i sent away to be fixed ,expecting a bill, instead i got , a NEW one returned saying that the old one was beyond repaire !