1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rnse into an s3???????

20vtdaz May 15, 2007

1. 20vtdaz

20vtdaz Member

hi guys is there anyway of getting an rnse or eqivilant into a 1999 s3, if so how do i go about it and what might it cost,and if not can i fit a new hu with flip screen with the same functions
    thanks a lot, daz

2. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Yes, the RNS-E retrofit has been done. I think there's a guy on this forum called Steve1975 who has done this - maybe drop him a PM? It's a bit involved with some custom wiring needed but certainly not impossible, plus the RNS-E fits nicely into the centre console for that factory look. You can buy used units from eBay from £400 upwards.

3. steve1975l

steve1975l Member

Sorry Daz bad news, it is not that easy on the pre-facelift.

I don't think your car has CAN bus required for displaying radio/navi instructions in the DIS. So you would need a CAN emulator.

The pre-facelift models have a different centre console and climate module. I am not sure whether a double DIN would even fit and how you would modify the climate to fit by the ashtray.

So I opt for a flip out screen.

For the facelift 8L's it can be done DIY for around £500 anyone wants to know more PM me as I have a large guide on this retrofit.