1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNSE - 2006 DVD Update

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Smithymartyn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Smithymartyn

Smithymartyn Member

Hi All,

Another couple of questions from a 'naive' new owner!

I have a 2006 Nav Plus fitted and wanted to purchase an updated DVD. Looked online and Navi Updates.co.uk (Audi Mercedes-Benz Volkswagen - 2011 NAVIGATION DVD UPDATES) seem to be the best bet. Has anyone used them and is it a straightforward job to update?

Second question is around the RNSE screen. It looks like the previous owner tried to clean this and has left several scratches and patches on the screen (mainly in the middle where it is slightly lighter). Not a pain to view, but occasionally when the sun shines it can be difficult. Does anyone know if you can get a replacement screen fitted, or can use a decent cleaning agent on it to ensure that the screen is completely clear?

Thanks
  2. wez3570

wez3570 Member

Mine was the same. It has an antiglare coating that scratches easily. I removed the bezel from around the screen (2 screws), then used T cut on the LCD.

Looks like brand new now and in fact still has an anti glare finish.
  3. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Nav dvd holds the data on it, that the rns-e reads from each time, it doesnt upload the nav data as such to the unit to hold in memory, although if its an 06 unit it will auto update to the latest 0650 firmware that will of course stay on the unit.

Best thing to use is PlastRX (ebay best/cheapest place) on the screens coating, it takes a serious amount of genie rubbing with virtually no pressure, but it does come of & tbh it has made the screen clarity better & doesnt affect usage so much with bright sunlight imho.

Forget new screen, they're £200+.
  4. Smithymartyn

Smithymartyn Member

Thanks all, really helpful! I'll get some PlastRX on it....

As a side note, can't reply to PMs as not completed 15 posts yet. Any idea how I can respond to messages/contact people who can source DVDs in between time (suspect not and have to ramp up my posts!!!)?
  5. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Damn you could get to 15 posts in about 2 minutes if you check the forum & just add some comments :)
  6. Smithymartyn

Smithymartyn Member

Fair point! Told you I was new to all this....Obviously I'll leave some constructive comments ;-)