1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E with MFSW and phone prep

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by GeoffT, Dec 22, 2007.

1. GeoffT

GeoffT Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    I have finally got my RNS-E installed and fully coded up (I think). No errors coming up apart from the known issue of "ZF to ground".

Thanks to all for their help on this.

One final (well maybe) question.

I already had the MFSW and factory phone prep (no cradle just using bluetooth). I was expecting that when I pressed the MODE button on the MFSW to go into phone mode the RNS-E would automatically go to the phone menu screen. It doesn't. The RNS-E mutes and the number dialled is displayed on the DIS and dials OK, but the RNS-E stays on whatever screen it was on. If I manually switch to the PHONE menu on the RNS-E it displays the name and number being dialled, but doesn't automatically go to that screen.

Is this just how it works (and another reason for me to moan about the firmware!), or have I got some settings or coding wrong? I have coded the Telephone unit (77) as 0011422.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    Mine does exactly the same, I think thats just how it is i'm afraid!

For it to switch to the telephone screen on the RNS-E you'd have to either select it manually or enter an SDS command.
  4. GeoffT

GeoffT Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    Thanks Issac, I was worried that might be the answer.
  5. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    Its certainly not perfect but its a reasonable piece of kit. Dont forget the RNS-E is relatively old in technology time scales!

SDS certainly helps though, makes things like entering a nav destination quicker as you dont need to use the scroll wheel. Also I find the voice selection for radio stations useful as you dont need to take your eyes off the road to switch stations.
  6. GeoffT

GeoffT Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    Did you install the SDS yourself? How difficult is the wiring? I understand you need to break into the existing microphone cable somewhere and run some cable to the RNS-E? I must admit, having seen a video of it in action on YouTube it does look good.
  7. GeoffT

GeoffT Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    I agree that the unit design is old but the firmware is updated every year, and there are so many ways it could be improved.
  8. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    True but I think that most of Audi's development goes into MMI, especially as the new A4 has this system. The firmware updates never seem to alter much. Im just waiting for my '08 DVD to arrive then I'll see what difference 0650 brings, Very little I imagine!

Yeah it's a piece of cake, instead of the Mic being wired straight to the BT unit it needs to 'pass through' the RNS-E. The hack is readily available on the 'net to download. Of course a little VAG-COM coding will required to finalise. I would estimate an hours work to complete.
  9. GeoffT

GeoffT Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    Where exactly did you cut into the Mic lead? Isn't the BT unit under the drivers seat and a bit tricky to get to?
  10. terrymcg

terrymcg Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    If you take the trim off in the passenger footwell, you will see a 17 pin plug(orange, IIRC) with your mic cable running into it. Cut it there and put in some little choc block connectors. So basically the Mic is still running to the BT module, this just gives you an area to tap into. And from these connectors run a screened cable to the allocated pins on the RNS-E, and bingo the SDS will work after you have done the hack. If it does not work first time round, swap the pins just to make sure you have the polarity correct.

The Mic wires should be green/clear. If you need some spare pins to put into your quadlock connector, give me a shout I have quite a few.:icon_thumright:
  11. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    My BT is retro-fitted so it lives behind the glovebox, but what Terry says above is spot on. Follow that and you cant go wrong, especially the bit about Mic polarity - Thats the one mistake I made, took a bit of head scratching to figure it out!
  12. GeoffT

GeoffT Member

[Dec 22, 2007]
    Thanks Terry, looks like I've got another project for after the hols. If you can spare a couple of pins that would be great. Do you still have my address? If not I'll PM it again.
  13. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Dec 24, 2007]
    Hi Guys,

I did the SDS hack (software only) at the weekend. RNSe shows SDS menus and talks to me when I press the MFSW button. I"ve not yet got around to re-wiring the mic, but it appears that the RNSe has priority over the (factory fit) GSM in terms of voice prompts, so now I can't "talk" to my GSM kit, will all that be fixed when I re-wire the mic? Or are there a few codes to change with vagcom?

Thanks in advance.
  14. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Dec 24, 2007]
    Is the trim you refer to under the seat between the runners?
  15. terrymcg

terrymcg Member

[Dec 24, 2007]
    John,

You should really recode the BT module to use voice control via RNS-E. But when I did mine it just works straight away, pretty much like you said, it looks like the RNS-E has priority over the BT module. Or something like that, long and short of it I did not bother recoding it and it worked fine.

The plastic trim is the piece down by the floor in the passenger footwell, just next to where your left foot would be if you were sitting in the passenger seat.

Terry
  16. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Dec 24, 2007]
    Thanks for the tips Terry. I'll have a prod around and see what I can find.
  17. terrymcg

terrymcg Member

[Dec 24, 2007]
    No probs buddy, like wise if you want some pins drop me a line....
  18. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Dec 26, 2007]
    Thanks Terry, PM sent.