RNS-E to Bose...

paddy

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but i am struggling with this !!

My newly fitted RNS unit sounds very average and not a patch on my old symphony 2. After a bit of investigation i can now confirm that the No.7 pin in the connector is ....eh...not there. So in effect the Bose system is not wired in. I have been told that as my car is 2004 it makes no odds and the wiring is correct. the fact remains that the car loom has a Bose pin..and the RNS unit has a Bose pin...and they are not connected.

Can anyone tell me where i can get a Audi to RNS lead inc Bose wiring ??

I would rather not use Kraftec unless i have too

TIA

I'm 99% sure that when converting to RNS-E and you have BOSE you have to swap a wire from one pin to another. Is there a wire going into the quad-lock on the pin for BOSE on the Symphony?

Yea, I traced the Bose wire from the car that would have gone to the symphony Bose pin and it goes to pin 3 on the add apter loom i have and it should go to pin 7. I am not sure if i move it whether the fact that it no longer goes to pin 3 is relevant or if i should just link pin 3 to pin 7.....

Dont know now without pulling the unit out the dash again...
Thats why i am looking for a lead thats ready wired for Bose.:yes:

I was on about on the symphony as that's what it was wired into.

Hi one wheel

Is it that simple ??
will it not mater that pin ,B3 V-signal (speed signal for 4B0.... RNS e) no longer has a wire to it as i have stuck it in B7 ( Bose pin)

Or should i piggyback the wire from 3 to 7 so the wire goes to both ?

Paddy, what is pin 3 labelled as on the symphony?! I ask as I am betting it's BOSE. Which means it should be moved to pin 7 for BOSE on the RNS-E like I said in my first post :icon_thumright:

well the thing is because the plugs are totally different on the Symphony you cant tell.

this is the wiring for the symphony

DSC_0001-7.jpg

All i can say is that the pin bottom right here is the Bose pin

DSC_0002-10.jpg

And it goes to the pin marked red here on the RNS plug and should go to green mark i think

DSC_0003-4.jpg

Thanks for your help Staz .

with all due respect to John the fact that the car has a Bose pin in the wiring loom plug and the RNS has a Bose pin....and they dont meet seems odd. Its easy to move the pin from 3 to 7 but unless i know its not needed at 3 i am warey. dont want to short something :)

if the one your showing is deffo the bose wire,then it needs to be removed and from 3 to 7 NOT linked.
just make sure that your reading the numbers the correct orientation.
theres reason why the bose pin should be in the v-signal

If you want I can move this thread to the Nav forum and you should get an answer from either AndyMac or S8Craig. They're the gurus.

if the one your showing is deffo the bose wire,then it needs to be removed and from 3 to 7 NOT linked.
just make sure that your reading the numbers the correct orientation.
theres reason why the bose pin should be in the v-signal

Your saying move the pin from 3 to 7 but also there is a reason why the bose pin should be in the v-signal which is 3 ??

Hi staz.....If you think it might help then go ahead and move the trhread...there must be a lot of other people who have come up against this...............somewhere :yes:

If i can get a definate answer then the world needs to know !!:yes:

Ok moved (obviously lol)

Don't expect super fast answers in this forum Paddy, but it's more likely to be the right answer :icon_thumright:

ill second STAZ, andy and s8craig sure know there stuff.

pin 3 is v-signal ( video signal ) which detects an input and switches the screen ( ie : reverse camera ) you deffo need to remove from pin 3 and put it into pin 7 bose.

My guess is that you bought an A6 RNS-E harness that had the GALA wire connected to pin 3 for Vsig. Whatever you do just make sure that you move it out of pin 3 and into pin 7. Make sure also that it does go back to the brown BOSE wire on the 8 pin plug. Although looking at it, the wire could go to the one adjacent as that is DWA-GND or alarm ground which is also a ground pin so has the same affect as the BOSE wire.

Grounding the Bose pin just gives the HU a totally flat EQ, it should actually sound better with nothing connected to it i.e. the Bass & Treble will actually work properly! Whether or not the Bose pin is connected has nothing to do with the Bose system. The Bose system is the amps and speakers, so the Bose system is still working, the Bose pin just makes them sound very flat. As the saying goes, no highs no lows it must be Bose!

Not that it didn't need connecting, just that the scientists at Bose like to dictate how you should listen to music without any consideration for the type of music, roadnoise or the listeners preference. Fine if you can't make up your own mind what you like but personally I like to choose how my music sounds myself, not have it dictated to me by some boffin in a white coat.

Seems to me that i have to try it and see if i prefer the sound then..
All i can say is that the symphony II sounded like a HiFi and this RNS-E sounds like a transistor radio . Interesting can of worms all the same :yes:

Hi Lea
Sorry, didn't get time today, might have to wait till the weekend now ! Did get the FBMFSW today from Hungary. Its brand new so has no badge on the bottom spoke so i need to try and find someone who can supply a S-Line logo badge. tried e-bay but nothing for the FB wheel. Looks like the wheel has a blanking plate that will pop out so I expect the badge will be contoured to fit with clips on the back.
I will post here when i have swapped the pins re: RNS-e

Cheers :)

i bought the s-line badge for my FBMFSW as mine was blank when i got it, ill see if i can find the link for you mate, there not cheep but it does look the part.

Hi
This morning i moved the Bose pin from 3 to 7 and checked the coding with vagcom.
Immediate reaction is its a great improvement on sound quality. Levels are much more balanced so the sound is crisper and clearer.
Before the whole system was very base heavy and i had the base turned down to -6 and the treble right up.....but still base heavy from the back in particular. Now the sound is almost perfect with the controls central on 0
In my opinion this is a mod worth doing because with basic Base/Treble controls you couldn't get the EQ levels that the Bose pin gives you.
I would agree with Andymac if the system had a graphic EQ and you could fine tune the sound to suit but you cant do that with just base/treble controls.
Of coarse everyones perception of good sound will be different but personally i prefer the Bose EQ setting.

Thanks for all your help on this Guys :)

Paddy

Aww man am i glad I came across this thread. I have the same issue, what do i use to remove the pin from the block without causing any damage?

a small pin , small flat blade screwdriver , etc .
it doesnt take much pressure to remove the pin

Right manged to swap the pins over ..i.e pin 3 to 7. All works fine now, Happy days...and a big thanks to all. :icon_thumright: