1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS- E stuck - how can I remove the unit

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by downtothebone, Oct 10, 2012.

1. downtothebone

downtothebone Member

All,

As title - the right hand side is free (using those keys), the left hand side top key is in but can't be pulled out so it must be catching although it moves slightly left to right (unlike the right hand keys) whilst the bottom left key goes in but does not engage so can be removed.

I've taken out the glove box so can see the 'cage' but don't know how to push in the spring clips?

Help!

Any ideas - please PM.

Thx.
  2. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Downtothebone, I had the same kind of difficulty with my RNS-E. I found it very useful to watch this video: Audi A3, A4, A5, A6 RNS-E iPod iPhone AUX adapter - YouTube which I must say gave me some confidence. I found that with a sticky lock spring that it needs the key moving outwards a bit to release it. Be brave here. A good side-to-side jiggle may be also needed to free it. Also what helped a lot was, in my case, to insert a thin knife in the slot between the unit and the panel, and put some slight outwards pressure on the RNS-E to spring it out. I am not sure that one can easily push in the spring clips from the back. Good luck.
  3. NICK-C

NICK-C Nick

I did mine about 18 months ago and was a right b*tch to get out! Like you I had one side free and it took a lot of 'jiggling' of the keys to get it out. IIRC I tried to pull the keys on the stuck side to the left and right whilst pulling and it eventually came out. Cheap crappy keys I got from halfords didnt help and got bent to feck!