RNS-E : speedo camera data

I would hazard a guess Staz its a reason why it hasnt been implemented in many countries/brands of cars, given goverments get so much revenue from tickets handed out, they wouldnt want a car manufacturer to include this data as would cut revenue I reckon, on flipside it could cause more accidents, but also make people slowdown, so argument either way I reckon.

Its been proved that a speed camera doesnt really do much for saving lives & cutting accidents, but a friendly warning sign that flashes your speed like many villages have these days, does make people think twice, I know I slow down for those signs, but I get angry & peeved seeing a speed camera sitting somewhere as I know its not there for the reason they say, not I race round everywhere either, but everyone & I mean everyone's guilty of speeding whilst driving.

But I do ask has any car ever added these things within there oem nav system

I'm sure a have read somewhere that in Holland police speed trap locations are broadcast on the TMC.

I'm sure a have read somewhere that in Holland police speed trap locations are broadcast on the TMC.

Ooooh this is interesting as would get around any hacking needed huh.

Also 2nd thought was TMC would be best given it would be updated without any intervention of new dvd's huh, that would solve that problem, didnt even think about the TMC service.

Nice one john me old china.

Would a TMC service provider broadcast camera locations.
Look how long A3 and A4 owners had to wait for the TMC discs.
I think the dutch thing is the police set up a trap and the location is broadcast.
Our fixed camera locations would be easier to broadcast maybe.

In theory you could make a device which took your GPS position via CAN from the RNSe, look up the nearest cameras from a flash card and send a TMC signal in through the antenna. If you chose the correct properties for the TMC message, the camera warning should pop up like they do in Holland.

Not quite, thats the MMI system in the B8 A4 etc... The RNSe is made by Aisin. Might be the same OS though.

rns-e-1.jpg

In theory you could make a device which took your GPS position via CAN from the RNSe, look up the nearest cameras from a flash card and send a TMC signal in through the antenna. If you chose the correct properties for the TMC message, the camera warning should pop up like they do in Holland.

Are you going to test the theory John :)

It's beyond me, but I would probably stump up some cash for development if anyone else wants a bash.

Kite, beat me too it, lol.

Yeah be interesting to see if that could be done huh, but how would we get the cam locations onto the sd in the 1st place, you'd possibly have extract them from an existing system that has cam locations, possibly some copyright issues there aswell unless there's a free system that supplies this data, also you'd have to have some proprietory software made especially to extract the data & then have an OS to run to send the data to a transmitter where we would have to find out how to actually transmit the signals but also build a unit that would send these signals, let alone working out the signals themselves.

Thats quite a system to build, but it could actally be very much worthwhile, some hurdles to get over I guess.

Who runs TMC anyway, maybe we could approach them about a system to add this functionality instead of making a system ourselves

Aha this is interesting site:

http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/what_is_tmc/

I'm gonna email them.

You can download camera location data from here for £20 a year.

I didn't mean read this data from the internal SD slots, these would be in the new theoretical device!

These chaps made a TMC device and sent out fake messages. These are low cost components too, just inject the signal into the FM antenna feed. Sounds quite feasable really.

There's a chap on Audiforums.us named zx81-sp who made made something similar, although it just sent text to the DIS.

http://audiforum.us/maps-firmware/275-custom-pois-3.html#post67131

This is his long 20 page thread in spanish!
http://www.audisport-iberica.com/foro/index.php?showtopic=80345

Maybe we could look into this?

Thanks John.

When finished with this mod working on, will read up more.

You can download camera location data from here for £20 a year.

I didn't mean read this data from the internal SD slots, these would be in the new theoretical device!

These chaps made a TMC device and sent out fake messages. These are low cost components too, just inject the signal into the FM antenna feed. Sounds quite feasable really.

There's a chap on Audiforums.us named zx81-sp who made made something similar, although it just sent text to the DIS.

http://audiforum.us/maps-firmware/275-custom-pois-3.html#post67131

This is his long 20 page thread in spanish!
http://www.audisport-iberica.com/foro/index.php?showtopic=80345

Maybe we could look into this?

Hi John - Great work, I wouldn't be too bothered paying £20 a year but looks like the RNS-E isn't listed - just the RNS 510. Or am I not reading this correctly?

Hi John - Great work, I wouldn't be too bothered paying £20 a year but looks like the RNS-E isn't listed - just the RNS 510. Or am I not reading this correctly?

We're theorising about about making a device which reads camera locations from an SD card, compares this with your current location and if a camera is close by sends a TMC message to the RNSe.

Never actually got started on this project, but what about using the speed warning signs in the cluster to alert of impending speed cameras, you can show the speed limit with a cluster message I'm sure and then make a ping or two several hundred yeards before the camera. Of course you need the database and conversion to CAN messages, but surely a PIC chip could do that.

That sounds like a good idea, less complicated that TMC messages. The chap on audiforums.us (ZX81-sp) may be able to contribute, he had (I think) a working circuit that read GPS co-ordinates over the K line, would have to do the same over CAN. As you say is doesn't sound too difficult, but it is beyond my skills.
I imagine that there may be quite a market for this as it could probably be adapted to work with the newer MMI systems.

As we have "Road Safety Cameras" in the UK, would it not benefit safety to have their location broadcast on TMC, then we would know when we were approaching an
accident "Black Spot".
There are quite a few Nav systems that have the TMC capabilities, we would all
benefit and if this leads to a reduction in RTA's there is no longer a need for the camera's...........................Yeah Right................

As we have "Road Safety Cameras" in the UK, would it not benefit safety to have their location broadcast on TMC, then we would know when we were approaching an
accident "Black Spot".
There are quite a few Nav systems that have the TMC capabilities, we would all
benefit and if this leads to a reduction in RTA's there is no longer a need for the camera's...........................Yeah Right................

Try telling your local PC Plod that or even better your Councilllor! am sure they'd laugh in your face. I'm sorry to anyone I might have offended but we all know what devious little wotsits our politicians are, I am convinced these speed cameras ARE a money making scheme period! Otherwise I'm sure they would of all been replaced with these 'Slow Down' animated signs instead!

Rant over!:mad:

Any more progress on this ?

Reading this thread has wetted me appetite!:w00t:

I am convinced these speed cameras ARE a money making scheme period! Otherwise I'm sure they would of all been replaced with these 'Slow Down' animated signs instead!

Rant over!:mad:

Yup just like the road tax hike for bigger engines cars. i suppose they are going use that money to buy back some ozone layer. YEAR RIGHT. its just a way of them trying to justify yet more tax. They obviously think that if they say its for safety or environmental reasons then we will all believe them because MP's are so trustworthy don't ya know :puke2:

I actually think that not knowing where the cameras are is more dangerous. how many time have you been coming up to a camera when the person in front slams on the brakes even if they are under the limit

Last edited:
Excellent find.

It's about time somebody pulled their finger out and did this :)

I don't know a lot about the internals of the RNSE, but surely the easiest way to implement this in the cluster is to find a way of triggering the existing speed warning on the DIS? Ie where you hit a cluster button and it beeps when you exceed the set speed? I expect there must be away of mimicking the button press over thr CAN-Bus...

I've managed to make contact with the author of the software and have some info to share with you. His software makes a copy of the users original disc and adds a new custom POI entries leaving all the originals intact. There are no changes to the firmware so the POIs just show on screen, there are no audible warnings. Certainly a big step forward.

That sounds very good John.
As you say, a big step forward and closer to the holy grail :)

awsum that will be really good!!
as another option as a tempoary thing, if anyone has an iphone, there is an app called Cams Ahoy which as a europe wide database of all cameras, like tom tom does miss a few out, but still quite a good little application as a stop gap :)

I registered my interested on the navPoint website and I received an email recently indicating that the new software will be available soon!.

There's a new video posted up on the website showing speed camera database integrated with RNS-E maps!
www.navPOInt.co.uk

This looks really promising.

I have been asking this ? a few times, there is another thread which I came up with an Idea that I could not test, until the last few days, it works as well assuming you have RNS-E (not sure if it works with just RNS) AMI, (but my guess if you have aux input it will work to but not tested).

It just came to me, and it does work really well. you need an Iphone, and an app called speed camera data base from the Pocket GPS, it is like 50p or something, every time you go out, or want it running, you plug it in and play itunes if you want music, and then run the app it runs as well as itunes. as well as using the sat nav. it is not perfect, but it actually does work assuming you want to listen to MP3's only, though with next gen Iphone (summer) it is suppose to be multitasking that opens up a whole lot of ideas IE radio etc, internet :) The Pocket GPS is one of the best speed camera databases around constantly updated, a d been around for ever, including having the mobile speed (which apparently are actually pretty will fixed positions that they just arrive when they fancy) camera spots (not all I might Add), that most others do not.

Basically if you have an Iphone get it anyhow.

I have been told that people are working on the speed camara data bases for Audi RNS-e, but still no one knows if it will work, and personally even if they do get it to work, it is not likely it will make a sound, just be a visual on the map. so in my view pretty useless.
I have been told the mapping system is suppose to be the same as BMW, and someone has have got it to work, but only time will tell

Thanks Brett. This iPhone solution sounds good... I can't find the app on appStore! What's the exact name of it?

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cameralert/id336238843?mt=8

There are a lot of variations to setting it up to, the only one bad point is if you are playing the music really loud from itunes, the warnings are pretty dam loud and you cannot turn them down unless you turn iphone volume down thus music down.

The only draw back I have seen so far, though not in my Audi, but when testing it in my Van is if the iphone loses GPS signal the music and camera data base turn off, and you need to run it all again, but not done it in my S3 yet, the other good thing is iphone blue tooth runs as well so that all works.
if you do not have AMI, and using aux, you will almost need a charger as iphone battery not the greatest.

I got to say I am not that often impressed with things, but I got to say I am more than impressed with this set up as it pretty well a free solution that is great. (assuming you have hardware all ready).

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the mapping system is same as the BMW. BMW used to use Navtech (or navteq) - at least this was the case on my E46 (previous shape) M3. This was fully hacked sometime ago, someone even created a full custom POI editing application!

Navpoint won't give you an audible warning, but it will show you cameras on the map. If also lets you add custom POIs. It's certainly a great starting point.

Navpoint won't give you an audible warning, but it will show you cameras on the map. If also lets you add custom POIs. It's certainly a great starting point.

Well yes it is a starting point, but pretty pointless relating to speed cameras, the whole point of it is a audible warning, as if you are speeding, you will not be certainly gazing at the sat nav map. I must admit I am rather surprised at all of the manufacturers they would sell a hell of a lot more sat nav systems with new cars if they did have it.