1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E Screen goes blank but then comes back on

Discussion in 'Satellite Navigation' started by Ash B, May 13, 2013.

1. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

Started happening about 3 weeks ago, had the car about two months now. One minute rns-e will be working fine next minute the screen goes blank but music is still playing and can still use the controls etc. The screen will come back on by it self could be within a few seconds, minutes or days lol and its starting to annoy me now. I do have a parrot connected to my car which was faulty when i bought it and decides to work when it wants. I am planning on having that removed, could that be causing an issue with my rns-e?
    Any help would be great, save me having to buy a new rns-e unit.

Thanks
  2. s3reptdi

s3reptdi Member

What Parrot kit is it? I probably is to do with that, as to get the parrot kit to turn on and off with ignition people take a ignition live from the fusebox, it might not be wired in properly to the rnse, people really hack stereo wiring mine was all cut and chopped when I bought mine, and my brothers!
    Ash B likes this.
  3. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

To be honest mate i'm not sure. Not a fan of them myself so wouldnt know what model it is. Will get a photo tomorrow. Yeah hoping its just that and not a new unit. As saw on another forum a guy with a b7 rs4 was having the same issue and it was the parrot kit causing it.
  4. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

TBH it could even be the screen rbbon or screen itself, although remote, but food for thought.

Try to remove rns & check wiring, disconnect parrot & see if issues persist, then it will discount this at least.

Ignition live has nothing to do with rns functionality as rns is on/off via kline/can.

Parrot uses nf -/+ & mute wire, even if they piggybacked the -/+ of the power feeds to rns, it shouldn't affect the unit unless you have a weak battery aswell, but that would only be relevant with no engine running/charging battery tbh.
    Ash B likes this.
  5. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

Thanks Nigel :thumbsup: Will see if i can find some one local to check it for me or if you fancy it we could arrange something? ;)
  6. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

Still not got this sorted. Did come one last night and then went off, have noticed when i start the ignition the screen flashes and you can see it for a second before it goes blank again. Just trying to find some one local who knows what they are doing. As gone to two companies and they didnt have a clue.
  7. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

I can only offer a postage service due to location, if you can plug it into another car, even A3 to test, to eliminate the possibility its the car, before possibly sending to me.
  8. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

im around barry on saturday if you want to plug it into mine ?
  9. corino

corino Member

I can bet it's the screen ribbon, have seen two of them rns-e with issue and the ribbon was causing it