1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E running temperature?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Geraldy212, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Have noticed that my RNS-E unit which provides radio, cd and navigation seems to run very hot. Perhaps it is just the screen backlight, or perhaps there is an internal cooling fan which is not working. Does anyone else find the unit is quite hot after a half hour or so of driving? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks guys & girls
  2. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

It will get hot but it should be controlled by the fan.

When you turn off your ignition, you can hear the fan run on for about 30 secs or so so you should be able to tell if its working or not...
  3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Yes, I can hear a fan-like noise which indeed does stop after about 30 seconds after ignition key withdrawn. Thought it might be the DVD drive running and then stopping. The screen does get very hot, particularly if the car has been standing in the hot sun for a few hours. Also noticed that the DVD fails to read the navigation disk when it is very very hot. Service resumes if one turns the unit off until it cools a bit.
  4. audigex

audigex Member

Warm but not hot, is my experience - gets a bit warmer when the aircon is running, presumably to do with the climate control box being directly beneath it, or in direct sun, but not so hot that I'd be concerned.