1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E Repairs?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Slinger, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Slinger

Slinger Member

[Sep 11, 2009]
    My factory fitted RNS-E refuses to read the sat nav dvd now after intermittently working for the past year. Ive tried a cleaning disk but it wont read anything at all now, can anyone advise if this can be repaired by myself or if it needs a professional can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    I think it might be the laser thats gone as Ive been using a copied 2008 disk for the past 18 months and the disk was getting extremely warm.

thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. no_idea

no_idea Member

[Sep 11, 2009]
    Have you got a genuine disc? If not it might be worth while getting one. I would try that first. Copied discs make the laser work much harder when it reads them.
  4. chasdrury

chasdrury Member

[Sep 11, 2009]
    Yep, you can replace the laser. On navplus.us there is someone who sells them - I did mine a while ago. Take you time and follow the instructions and it's fairly easy

Chas
  5. no_idea

no_idea Member

[Sep 11, 2009]
    I think the guy goes by 'rabbit' he is based in Belgium
  6. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

[Sep 11, 2009]
    Both rabbit and Haaggie (who's from The Netherlands) on http://www.audiforum.us sell replacement lasers - IIRC they both sell the updated post 2005 ones that are more reliable than earlier lasers.

As said in an earlier post using copied DVDs makes the laser work harder and shortens the life of them considerably.
  7. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

[Sep 11, 2009]
    Slinger - if it helps you can borrow my pukka 2007 DVD to se if it works any better than yours....I am only around the corner from you....
  8. clincoln

clincoln New Member

[Sep 14, 2009]
    I have had a similar problem which I have cured, the unit would read the disc every now and again. I had to clean the laser directly with a cotton bud and some cleaning fluid.
    So far it has cured the problem, if you want to know more then message me.