RNS-e questions

JohnboyC

Reaction score
If I manage to pick up a RNS-e ystem for my Audi A4 Avant, but it does not come with the Code (which I assume you have to enter when you first power it up) and a Navigation DVD will this be a major problem ?

Is it easy to get the units recoded ? I see you can get the Navigation DVD on Fleabay.

Cheers

You got to ask the question... why is there no code?

Double check the unit as I know a lot of sellers put the code on the unit on a little sticker like an old fashioned price sticker.
Like the little orange sticker on the unit below:
1340-2.jpg

If the seller can't provide a code then you have to ask, Is it stolen?

they come from factory with that code like that they are made in poland, ive had 3 units with sticker in same place!

How much are you talking to buy the unit & whatever else is needed?

How hard is it to install? Does anybody know anyone who would install it for me if i get one? Or is £800-£900 the going rate for the unit and getting it installed??

Thankyouplease

JGrant1285 said:
How much are you talking to buy the unit & whatever else is needed?

How hard is it to install? Does anybody know anyone who would install it for me if i get one? Or is £800-£900 the going rate for the unit and getting it installed??

Thankyouplease

I got mine off Ebay for £500, (which came with GPS antenna+disc) as well as the plug n' play adapter and removal keys which was another £30/40 or so, canny mind. Fitted it myself which was easy as I had double din, which is a plug and play job.

Craigyb does install around Manchester area, cant mind his price, but more info on his website or theres install info, part numbers, hints, FAQ's etc on Navplus.com

tractorman said:
I got mine off Ebay for £500, (which came with GPS antenna+disc) as well as the plug n' play adapter and removal keys which was another £30/40 or so, canny mind. Fitted it myself which was easy as I had double din, which is a plug and play job.

Craigyb does install around Manchester area, cant mind his price, but more info on his website or theres install info, part numbers, hints, FAQ's etc on Navplus.com

Ahh well mines a single DIN.

I think i've already spoke to Craigyb before about this actually.

Whats his website address mate?

I'm going to have a peek on navplus.com

Thanks again.....

I will be attempting a single-DIN RNS-E conversion at the weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. Got everything I need (hopefully) from eBay for £600.

Single din conversion is quite simple just time consuming took me 2-3hrs.

get the cage from vag parts and the adapter from ebay, £100 max all in for conversion.

Did you get new air con switches or cut the existing single-DIN ones? I don't really fancy cutting them but hard pushed to find some to fit the double-DIN so looks like I will be giving it a go.

danc said:
Did you get new air con switches or cut the existing single-DIN ones? I don't really fancy cutting them but hard pushed to find some to fit the double-DIN so looks like I will be giving it a go.

I too was worried about the climate control when I fitted my RNS-e to my A3 Sportback. Looking back, I don't know why I was so concerned. It's really easy. Just make a card template using the current climate control panel and then trim the template down until it fits the new double din installation.

Mask up the climate panel to stop any plastic getting in and transfer your template to the climate panel, making sure it's centered. Carefully trim off the excess. Take it steady and constantly check the fit as you go.

I used a junior hacksaw to remove the bulk and then a small hand plane to shave off the rest. Left a really clean finish and it's impossible to see that you have actually hacked the original.

Having done it once I would have no hesitation in doing the same again.

Look at it this way. you have two options.

1) Go to Audi and pay silly money for the double DIN climate control (about £450 if I remeber correctly) and fit it.

2) Try cutting your exosting panel.

If it works it's cost you nothing.

If it doesn't, go to option 1)