RNS-E problem

cclarke184

Reaction score
I have finally got my adapters and atempted to install my RNS-E and i have come accross what i think is a problem or two.

1) when the unit is all plugged in but switched off i think i can hear a hum from the speakers.

2) when i turn the lights on or turn the ignition key on when the RNS-E is already on the RNS-E prompts me for the radio code again, it accepts it but them reverts back to asking for radio code again and again in a perpetual loop.

My car has 'BOSE' and i haven't yet changed it from concert to navigation in VAGCOM, could this be my problem or possible something else?

Cheers

Chris

Is your lead BOSE?

One thing I found on some adaptors is that the amp is wired to a permanent feed instead of a switched feed, Does the system thump when powered up. If so your amps are on all the time and this could be your problem,

If your lead is BOSE then there should be a ground pin from Pin 7 of connector B to ground pin 12 of connector D, usually this wire is brown. And also if your lead is BOSE, you should not have the extra speaker wires in connector A.

As for the live feed to the amps, check pin 16 of connector D, if it has a wire in there it's incorrect and that wire should be moved to pin 13 of connector D. Which is switched by the RNS after power up.

Not sure about the CODE issue, as long as you have a perm live feed to the RNS, then this should not be an issue. As the RNS powers up without the ignition on I'm guessing that your feed is perm live.

I have read some where on the navplus forums about cde issues and how to solve them , I will take a look for you.

Craig

Thanks for the response Craig, My lead is BOSE so i do have a ground to pin 7 disabling the internal amp.

I dont have a wire in 16 only 13 which i assume is correct (radio on) i will get a multimeter out tomorrow and do a few checks.

I didn't have this issue on my old concert so i assume my amps are picking up a perm + on the switched + somewhere.

As for the code issue, this could be a red herring but the display doesn't flicker like power has been removed it just switches to the radio code screen. This makes me think its a CAN BUS issue and maybe the RNS-E is getting confused because i haven't VAGCOM'ed it yet.

Chris

Well the lead sounds ok, I had 3 delivered with faults on, but not by Kufatec, so I dont get them from this "other" supplier anymore.

You coud try resetiing the unit Radio+Setup for 10 secs. See if that helps at all.

The BOSE ground pin disables the front speaker outputs, but you still have to VAG the unit to be BOSE, set the 3rd digit to 9 0xx9xxx I think is BOSE. But you also need to set front speakers "Inaktiv" which is a 1 in the second digit. 0x19xxxx

So for your car being an A3

For an A3, front speaker outputs inaktiv, BOSE system, no OEM phone, A UK radio/tuner head, No CD.TV, MFS

When you have coded this, check what error messages VAG is giving you,

I just had a unit that needed its adaptation doing as it was a mess basically.

OK have cut it all down and installed it all and it looks good,

rnse.jpg

I have configured VAGCOM for code 0519111
(the 5 being for A6, which is what my RNS-E is from)
I no longer have the code reseting issue but i still have the speakers humming when the RNS-E isn't on.
I got a multimeter out tested the connection on pin 13 (radio on) and found that it isn't dropping the voltage when the unit is turned off, this i assume is why my amps are on and my speakers are humming.
I was unable to configure the adaption (channel 62 i think) for radio + navi etc. because my VAGCOM is only shareware. So i'm hoping this is my problem.

regards

Chris

If you have coded it for an A6, do you have the gala signal connected, if not the navigation will be fairly basic.

Go to the diag menu and check your speed pulses in the nav section, make sure your getting them

Coding the DIS will not fix the is issue of the amps, I'm really not sure what this is yet.

By the way, it is looking good, you did a good job of the cutting.

Craig

Yes believe my GALA signal is connected, it feeds in on the same block as the power and then off into the quadblock. My direction and location updates almost instantly on the map, so i pretty certain GALA is working.

Is it possible there is another switched output in the quadblock, i see pin 13/block D is supposed to be 'radio on' but on my unit it appears to be live all the time (unit on or off)

Regards

Chris