1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E Owners - What add ons?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by C17LJR, Mar 15, 2011.

1. C17LJR

C17LJR Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2011]
    Hi Guys.

Just got a RNS-E from ebay, now i'm going to order one of the plug & play retrofit kits (this comes with ISO & Diversity adapters, GPS antenna & removal keys)

Question is, what else can i get to add to it? Any good bluetooth or iphone kits? tv receivers with tv in motion? how do i watch dvds?

Some me what you's have, and rough prices.

cheers, carl
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2011]
    Add an RNS-E Multimedia interface and this gives you opportunity to input Video from any PAL/NTSC source - like portable DVD player (for DVD playback), ipod-Video, iphone-3G/3GS/4G,etc. plus with a little DIY interface box on top of this would allow auto switching of a rear view camera.
    VIM hack is possible and have done it myself and all working - so TV screen does not cut out when driving.
    Have linked to threads where I have documented various retrofits - prices are in there.

OEM Bluetooth - yes recommend this also, had a Parrot CK3100 originally then upgraded to the OEM BT when I was able to get a reasonable deal on a kit (~£260 from Poland).

Not ventured down the TV tuner route, but this would effectively replace the Multimedia box if you purchase an RNS-E compatible Digital TV tuner box. Such boxes normally have aux video inputs for a rear view camera - but you would have to check this with the respective supplier.
  4. dejongj

dejongj Member

[Mar 15, 2011]
    I'm inbetween an official Audi bluetooth kit and a Fiscon one. Considering my multi function steering wheel doesn't have the buttons on it means I can't operate it from there, nor does the voice control work. Or so I have been told.

Considering that, I am swaying toward the Fiscon version that seems to have better DIS integration.
  5. C17LJR

[Mar 16, 2011]
    excellent detail there Woorlord, very interested in the reverse camera & multimedia interface for now. fancy knocking up an extra switch box for camera activation when using another input?

also like the VIM hack, will need to do that too.

got a parrot bluetooth unit just now so will stick with that but keep an eye out for an OEM unit
  6. chrisash32

chrisash32 Member

[Mar 17, 2011]
    If he wants to knock up two, i am ready to buy one now :)
  7. Woorlord

[Mar 17, 2011]
    This is of course possible - Made to order - fully assembled & tested - Please PM me.
  8. itsmeagain

itsmeagain 1.8T Sport Cabriolet

[Apr 2, 2011]
    Buy the audi one mate
  9. Woorlord

[Apr 2, 2011]
    Audi OEM BT unit works fine without MFSW just need to use the RNS-E controls.
    Voice Control is only available with SDS (I beleive) enabled on your RNS-E, (or hacked software).
    You are correct that you would need a Voice Activation button which is available only on the B7 MFSW.
  10. C17LJR

[Apr 2, 2011]
    I bought the oem Bluetooth in the end, I love it.

Only issue now is the rns-e not reading any DVDs!
  11. Dilligaf-UK

Dilligaf-UK Chugging along

[Apr 2, 2011]
    What DVDs? movies? If so, it won't - it won't play back DVDs unless it's through an external DVD player and multimedia interface.
  12. C17LJR

[Apr 2, 2011]
    Lol, no. Unfortunately it's the sat nav DVD it isn't reading! Doesn't even recognise it's in the unit therefore it doesn't eject either :(
  13. Dilligaf-UK

Dilligaf-UK Chugging along

[Apr 3, 2011]
    Ah - bugger!
  14. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark Member

[Apr 3, 2011]
  15. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

[Apr 4, 2011]
    Voice control of phone functions works with any RNS-E.

SDS, or the RNS-E SW hack, is only needed if you want voice control of the RNS-E functions.
  16. Woorlord

[Apr 4, 2011]
    Useful to know.
  17. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Apr 4, 2011]
    if you want ideas, check the Ampire DVBT-400-3G link in my signature: gives me a USB video player (32Gb pendrive works perfectly) and two extra video lines in (for iPod / DVD / reversing camera) as well as the Freeview channels and an option to record channels :D
  18. qennu

qennu Member

[Apr 4, 2011]
    so If I buy a digital tv tuner box I dont need the multimedia box ?I am asking because I bought a complete set (dvd player,multimedia box,tv free interface) but the mutimedia box dont have the connector to the rns-e with it and I can't find it alone,I have to buy another multimedia box,but I also wish to watch digital tv.I just cant understand how you are going to get the channels ?cheers and sorry for hacking this thread :)
  19. C17LJR

[Apr 4, 2011]
    You'll get the wiring harness for the multimedia interface to Rns-e from kufatec