1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by warren_S5, Aug 24, 2011.

1. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

Well at least they have better protection now but still dosent help older audis , I'll just cover the hell out the back of my rnse unit with smart water hopefully help catch people if the police are interested in them

2. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

I'm sure I have read these disk damage the firmware of the RNS-E and if you need to get the code again you cannot and you've left with a very nice paper weight!

3. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

It may only just be being implemented on the new mqb platform and rolling out when cars get a design change

Royston80 likes this.
  4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

I couldn't possibly comment, as I don't handle stolen units or involved in crime in any shape or form lol.

I understand how you feel, so don't worry nobody is offended at all :)

5. Royston80

Royston80 New Member

No, you lemon! I'm not CID! Lol

What I'm saying is... is the unit itself / the cars ecu / loom / RNSE serial number so individual to the vehicle it came from that although the unit can work in a.n.other car that it could be realised (at some stage) that this is not the original car and therefore stolen?

6. hollow

hollow Active Member

even the seller of the unlock cd is conning people further what he has forgot to mention is you also need hardware to finish the job .

even if this cd wasnt available it can be done otherways so no matter how they try to prevent it people will get around it .

7. Oldredeyes1

Oldredeyes1 Member

8. NHN

You cant buy units that cheap & fit for free, impossible to do, so there are certainly big questions on how he manages to do so.

9. Wicked666

Wicked666 Active Member

He's been advertising these on eBay for a year as I was looking at one when I first got the car. Decided against it because of the number of thefts where I used to live.

NHN likes this.
  10. NHN

Yeah he has, but not permanently, sporadic.

11. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

To be honest, if you look at his listings, it looks like he repairs them for a living? He might just buy broken/faulty ones, fix them, and sell them on?

12. newbieboyy

newbieboyy Member

He has three for sale at the moment.

That is ridiculously cheap..

13. Liam_27

Liam_27 New Member

I'v had my sat nav plus nicked out of my car twice in last 2 months both in different places, I was wondering if anyone had a photo of the plug connector on the back. So I know where to put the 3 wires that go in the brown connector because when it was pinched last time they snapped that connector off! Any help would be greatly appreciated

14. Royston80

Royston80 New Member

Hey Liam, really sorry to hear this has happened. I was very miffed when ours was stolen (once), but I put in a Pioneer 8400BT in its place to deter anything happening again.

I am not sure if you mean this connector? (Pics attached).... I might have the other black one (with pink securing clip) somewhere if it helps. Let me know. Out if interest, what car was it from? Pass side attack, window broken? Have you given the identifying numbers of the unit to the cops? Little chance to find it I know, but every little helps as they say.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

15. Liam_27

Liam_27 New Member

Cheers but them pics don't have it on there, it was a grey connector above the blue one that has pulled off when they stole it, ye they have bent the rubber seal aswell on that side, it was stolen from an s3 mate, I gave them all the info and I'v not heard nothing and it is nearly 2 months since it was pinched really annoying and can't afford to replace it again so putting a symphony 2 unit in, that's the reason why I'm looking to see where the wires might go in the connector audi have sold me, anyway cheers for the pictures hopefully someone else can help me out

16. Royston80

Royston80 New Member

Sorry. Liam, I don't have a grey connector. These pics are from a 63plate Black Edition TT. I know this is a further wiring loom change from previous TTs, so hopefully someone else can help. Out of interest, was your theft in the east Mids?

Last resorts for wiring; Audi... Ask them for the help you need, the least they can do for you spending your money in their parts dept.
    Or... Have a look at a Audi s3>din connector and re-trace the wires?

I hope you get it sorted mate.

17. Rs3.jay

Rs3.jay Member

Hello ppl i had my rnse sat nav stolen and the b**tards snapeped off my wing mirrors and smashed my pass windiw out off my rs3 in huddrrsfield. I left it 3-4 weeks but kept an eye open on ebay and gumtree. Then i saw a add on gumtree for sat nav and i could 99% sure this was mine as i did not eva touch my screen and i rember my lass putting 3-4 finger prints on it as she thought it was same as my golf sterio. Rns510.
    I rang the guy up played dum said i was from manchester and he told me to cme to bradford so i did. I had a chat he neva had the code the stickers was removed i pluged it into my car and bang it came on no code and it still had my cd in it. I got my wrench out off my bood and went for the guy and his mate i was so mad he **** him self and said he bought it off a jipsy i said ill sh*g his mum and that u thefin bas*ards and git in my car and drove off. He did not try follow me. If i was not in my rs3 i would have batterd him.

18. dr_sean

dr_sean New Member

The 8P RNS-E combination is inherently flawed
    I have offloaded both my RS3 and my wife's 3.2 after both were done in this way. Broken glass and that pitiful alarm! We are both now in Beemers - M3 and Z4

I have video footage of an RNS -E being taken in under 10 seconds

None of you stand a chance

19. Granta

Granta Active Member

well done mate!!

20. T8DPR

T8DPR If Carlsberg Made Audi Drivers...

Volkswagen sat nav units are being targeted in the east side of wigan area, (Atherton, Leigh, Lowton, Hindley green) so please spread the word if any of you are on VW forums

10 cars in the last 3 weeks

21. jsosic

jsosic Member

Damn it guys so sorry to hear it :( Does it help if your car is in a garage (like under the building)?

22. Rs3.jay

Rs3.jay Member

your ok if its locked up safe. I went to a birds house and was so drunk i couldnt drive it and was parked near audi and vw garage jus off the main road. I normally hv it parked safe with the dobermans guarding it.

23. Rs3.jay

Rs3.jay Member

If they eva cme to my drive my dogs would not make a sound till the could reach em. Ps my bitch can jump the gate

24. Dubjam

Dubjam On dialysis, replacing petrol with oil

25. MA3TDIQ

MA3TDIQ Member

I am planning to get RNS-E radio fitted but got worried after reading this post.

Is there anyway to cover the radio to stop them from seeing the nav screen?

Or can the navigation panel be taken off?

Kind regards,

26. Dubjam

I also wondered this. There is no way for the panel to be taken off, however @Ash187 who fitted mine said there were 'false fronts' available somewhere to make it look like an standard unit. Havent looked into it properly yet, but fingers crossed.

In the meantime, don't park anywhere in Bradford, Leeds, or East London for that matter!

27. Rs3.jay

Rs3.jay Member

Or huddersfield brighouse wakefield.
    I live in east lindon my cars on the street outside and iv got my cross bow and arrows ready.

28. Dubjam

If yours does go 'astray', check Gumtree, there is a person who sells nicked units regularly in East London, get out there and put an invisble mark on it with a UV pen, you might just get it back if it goes walkabout!

29. BennyG_UK

BennyG_UK Top Gear
    VCDS Map User

Anyone have any details on the false front? My cars garaged every night so not too bad but still can't be bad to be too careful around bradford eh!

30. Dubjam

@Ash187 told me about them. Havent been able to find one myself though hopefully he can advise?

31. Dubjam

Im thinking of attempting to remove the front off my concert unit...or buying a symphony unit to do the same too.

32. BennyG_UK

BennyG_UK Top Gear
    VCDS Map User

33. Dubjam

34. BennyG_UK

BennyG_UK Top Gear
    VCDS Map User

The only other thing that could potentially help is this:

https://www.thetileapp.com

BUT only works up to 100ft range. But the more people have the app the easier it will be to track.

Its not 100% but better than nothing eh? Could possibly hide this inside the RNS units

35. Umar

Umar New Member

36. Dubjam

37. Umar

Umar New Member

I might be suspecting. It was in Barking and Dagenham. May have been a bargain but I hope it wasn't stolen. If someone else finds one at an incredibly cheap price around that area, send me a message. If its the same guy, might be stolen.

38. Dubjam

Gumtree I imagine. Same one.

39. MA3TDIQ

MA3TDIQ Member

Does anyone have any guides on assembling these fronts to make them look real?

40. Dubjam

Ive been looking at chopping my concert unit up. However it isn't just a case of cutting the front off, as it would need a frame surround made for it as it would need to go over the RNSE dial buttons, therefore needing to 'push it out' by about 3-4cm.