1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by warren_S5, Aug 24, 2011.

1. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 1, 2012]
    Upgrade your alarm on the car and maybe a few IR's local to the car telling you when anyone's near it.
  2. The Governor

The Governor Active Member

[Apr 1, 2012]
    How about a couple of automated motion sensing machine gun turrets as well? :icon_thumright:
  3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 1, 2012]
    Sounds good but force is always met with force
  4. Qua3ttro

Qua3ttro Member

[Apr 13, 2012]
    I saw an A3 on ebay some days ago, it was equipped with a car alarm with a smoke system. Are those any good?
    Still you have the hole in your door, but will it prevent them from taking your stereo?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Jun 11, 2012]
    Sorry to hear the tales of woe here.

I've only been an A3 owner for the past month and was considering upgrading my Concert II to the rns-e unit at some point in the future because I prefer the factory look to after-market. I even started a thread to enquire about options regarding BT Audio from an iPhone. But reading this thread has given me the heeby-geeby's! I work night shifts from time to time and have to park my car in very dark locations on occasion, there's no way I need this extra worry! this thread has given me a wake up call and an RNS-E is now out of the question. I think I'll stick with the Concert for now and fit a iPod\BT adaptor as a temporary solution.

Again, sorry some of you have been targeted by these thieving scumbags! this may be little consolation for you, but if you didn't share your experiences the stats could be much higher - so thanks for the heads up.
  6. jjmurphy21187

jjmurphy21187 Tiptronic

[Jul 18, 2012]
  7. AndyA3170

AndyA3170 Guest

[Jul 20, 2012]
    Glad i read this thread cause i also have been watching the units on ebay for sale with the intention of purchasing one but im not going to bother now, im in york and a stones throw away from leeds and dont fancy the little thiefs coming down the road to make a mess of my car for RNS-E or anything in that matter.
  8. Dmrqwq

Dmrqwq New Member

[Aug 18, 2012]
    Im now seriously doubting an RNS-E upgrade and might well stick with my concert II - now to work out how to get an ipod connection in!
  9. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 19, 2012]
    I understand your concern, I really do as back in 98 my 1st nice car mk3 gti was broken into by an old school mate who tried to nick my £500 new sony head unit, he failed btw & what was worst was he was a housemate of my at the time employee who also is a piece of shxt, but thats another story.

But if you look at sheer numbers of cars with these units & those being nicked, then look at same for aftermarket units being nicked aswell, I'm sure its a very low statistic in comparison, although that doesnt help people who have experienced this for sure, but you cant let your life's decisions always be dictated by these lowlife scum, if we do then life would be in a locked up nuclear bomb shelter preparing for the worst event that may never happen.

So dont neccessarily be put of by this mate, afaik to date not one of my clients has had there's nicked or even attemped (touches wooden head) & I've worked & installed in all parts of the country including what appears to be the worst affected areas.

I personally dont think we should be forced to live our lives in fear of not being able to enjoy what we worked hard for, obviously only you can make that decision, but even with stock radio's the cars can be broken into & are often.
  10. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

[Aug 19, 2012]
    Totally agree, we should be able to make our own decision and not be dictated by unfortunate events.

What members of this forum need to remember is that we represent a small number of Audi drivers and so yes there are a few that get stolen, but there are also a lot lot more that don't! It's the purpose of the forum that information both good and bad get concentrated into one website and so things can come across worse than the reality....
  11. jsosic

jsosic Member

[Aug 19, 2012]
    Here in Croatia they are stealing bikes as crazy. I had modded Norco MTB which was stolen in front of my company, in front of the cameras, in front of the security guard, in the middle of the day. I bought Focus Black Forest 3.0 2011 which is really a great bike, and It would be foolish If I didn't let the thieves dictate my life and leave it with at the same place... Offcourse I have much better u-lock now, but then again someone will steal my front wheel or my seat, and I don't want that either...

[​IMG]

My point is that we don't have much of an influence on a environment in which we live, but we must adapt... If it's high probability of stealing in your area, then I wouldn't install it for a time being... In the end the culprit is on Audi for not designing the units with better protection system, like removable screen, or keycode card or something like that. It's that easy, yes, nobody would steal it if they cannot sell it. And without a coded screen or a keycard nobody would buy it.
  12. NHN

[Aug 19, 2012]
    No mate, sorry the culprit is not audi, you cant blame audi for the society we live in where scum fecking piece of turds cant or should I say wont get a job cause they're too lazy or want an easy life.

Buttt, considering the new A3 mmi is now fitted into the dash & isnt a quick removable system, I think they've addressed this now, dont you?

Nice bike btw, I personally use Marins :) which hold there price ridiculously well & are middle of the road as such.
  13. jsosic

jsosic Member

[Aug 19, 2012]
    I didn't say Audi is culprit for the existence of lazy scumbag parasites, but that they should have taken into account their existence. They are putting the locks on the door, so obviously they know there are thieves out there... If we ignore it, they won't dissapear. It maybe worked with monsters while we we're kids, but not anymore... Simple keycard would be enough and it wouldn't raise production price of a unit for a penny.

I didn't say audi is bad, maybe they would do it in the facelift if enough people complained about it... But with "society is to blame we shouldn't change our lives to accommodate common treats" attitude they maybe didn't know this might be an issue...

Anyway - we're all aware of the current situation, so my advice would be to all living in affected areas to postpone RNS-E upgrade for a while. With the new model coming to the streets in a couple of months, demand will go down and so will both price and stealing.

Yeah I'm really happy with it! Only Avid brakes are crappy for setting up, maybe I'll upgrade to Magura's next year.
  14. NHN

[Aug 19, 2012]
    Uh you did lmfao
  15. jsosic

jsosic Member

[Aug 19, 2012]
    Now you're just being a politician and cherry picking (you quoted only a part of my sentence). Not a nice thing to do, because it won't help anyone with this problem.
  16. NHN

[Aug 19, 2012]
    Did you notice the lmfao on the end, as in joke, funny funny ha ha, come on lighten up man.
  17. jsosic

jsosic Member

[Aug 19, 2012]
    Haha, sorry then bro... but it's though to be cheerful about this issue - with my wheels at least I have security bolts.... and 4 of them in my case (17") are cheaper then RNS-E on black market :D
  18. NHN

[Aug 19, 2012]
    I wasnt joking about the thread discussion just your posts, anyway.

Well this is true, multiple lock bolts are better, but my wheels arent expensive enough to want to be nicked, afaik anyway, then again somethings stolen by some people does beg the question somedays huh.
  19. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Aug 19, 2012]
    They'll have a job nicking my wheels when the car is laid out on the floor :laugh:
  20. Cruiser89

Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

[Aug 20, 2012]
    Sorry man!! Tried to LIKE your post and stupid iPad made me hit dislike!

- Mods can you remove the dislike please?
  21. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Aug 20, 2012]
    Its ok, you've really hurt my feelings :laugh:
  22. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 21, 2012]
    If you go back to your post, if you click on 'Like' will it remove the dislike? I've just looked to see if I can amend it and it seems not. If you cant let me know.
  23. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 7, 2012]
    Anybody thought about DNA marking their unit with this SELECTADNA Vehicle & SatNav Kit (£49.99 inc.VAT)
    comes with a couple of car stickers. (not associated with the company others are available) It is a Police Secured by Design approved product, might put the scallywags off.

Paul
  24. Makka

Makka New Member

[Nov 2, 2012]
    What are the worst hit areas, I'm based in the south east and just wondering if this sort of thing is rife there as it seems Leeds is a big hot spot judging from this thread which is a shame as its making me consider whether or not to get one - I probably will I'm not letting these scumbags influence me
  25. NHN

[Nov 4, 2012]
    As an installer/supplier, I havnt heard much of thefts in south east, not from my clients anyway, touch wood, but thats not to say its not happening mate, but as I've said before, you cant not enjoy your hard earned money just cause lowlife's cant get a bloody job.
    shooz likes this.
  26. deek19790

deek19790 Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Hi guys,

after reading through this thread i decided to cover up the removal key hole that is under the display, this will not prevent theft if an expert tries to nick but will prevent the street kids at the least. (the screen still opens and closes fine)

who saids a barclaycard does not come in handly, see pics attached

d

Attached Files:

27. dr_sean

dr_sean New Member

[Feb 23, 2013]
    I've got an update to this thread

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ebody-sell-you-my-stolen-rns-e-2012-unit.html

It relates to the theft of my RNS-E Navigation System plus from my A3 on Saturday 9th February 2013

It would seem that there is presently an epidemic going on in Leicestershire starting from about the middle of 2012

I have posted the serial number of the unit I had stolen, please check it against yours if you buy or acquire a new unit in the coming weeks Serial sticker resized.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  28. Moe26

Moe26 New Member

[Mar 11, 2013]
    Makes me really angry reading this thread.

pure scum these thieving *******s.

Couple months ago somebody tried breaking into a neighbours house & unfortunately for the robber he was home and ended up being thrown through a glass window and a cricket bat through his skull. Shame because he the one whos ended up being punished yet the robber off scott free...
  29. coreythorny

coreythorny Member

[Apr 13, 2013]
    Great, i'm Leicestershire. Well out the way though :(
  30. Navisace

Navisace Member

[Apr 22, 2013]
    hi

just had my rns-e stolen from my a3 black edition at 2am this mornig (22 april 2013) from the hall green area of birmingham
    2 scum bags broke into car from both sides they messed up door frames in the process.

got them on cctv but being dark pic not too good took them all of 60 seconds.

police not attending as this happens all the time and not bothered.
    damenw likes this.
  31. damenw

damenw New Member

[Apr 26, 2013]
    hi new to this forum i too have been a victim of this theft as i too recently brought a3 sline 2006 back in january with rnse unit installed. woke up monday morning to find passenger side glass smashed alram going off and stereo missing luckily enough they must of used keys as didnt damage console getting the bugger out so only minimal damage but still inconvenience to my self and property damaged to thieving scumbags. down graded audio equipment now.. just because of mindless f**ckwits i'm from birmingham
  32. Navisace

Navisace Member

[Apr 29, 2013]
    I have 3 cars in the family with rnse but this has made me wanna sell the a3's I just don't want the hassle anymore

New A3 I ordered last yeah is due next month hope the new sat nav isn't easy to steal. Almost makes me wanna cancel car
  33. soulsurfer

soulsurfer Member

[May 4, 2013]
    I'm all new to this, and admit I haven't read this entire thread :) but I am told that if you're unit is retro fitted then you will not have an aerial on the roof, however if its factory fitted then you will have an aerial on the roof; surely this would be a give away and a beacon to any light fingered individuals as to what may be lurking from a distance. If this is the case, and RNSe is high on your list, then I would suggest having it retrofitted rather than buying a car with factory fit and you might just get away with it staying in your car.
  34. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[May 4, 2013]
    You also get the sharkfin with the phone prep so not a nailed on cert that the car has the RNS-E but I agree it is a heads up for a thief.
    It's not just an Audi thing though, it's across the vag range, one of the lads on the R36 forum had his RNS510 stolen from his work car park in broad daylight with cctv and a security guard, they even came back a few days later and took one out of a scirocco. The R36 saloon doesn't have a sharkfin for the nav so no outward clues apart from the fact it's an R36.
    As for security, there is a place at Greengates in Bradford that can do the security film for the front windows (apparently thats all you need)
  35. cazza1729

cazza1729 Filthy Oil Burner

[May 5, 2013]
    Do you know of the company that does that mate and the price? I'm looking seriously at the protective film after buying a rns-e yesterday!
    Thanks
  36. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[May 5, 2013]
    http://www.graphics-online.co.uk

I know a couple of the lads on the R36 forum have negotiated a price of £225 for the fronts as opposed to £300 so maybe if you were serious you could get in at that price. It's not cheap but I believe the glass has to be removed as the film has to go all the way to the edges
  37. soulsurfer

soulsurfer Member

[May 7, 2013]
    I have a guy in Maidstone Kent who is tip top at window film fitting, he supplies most high line dealerships in the area and really knows his stuff, I always use him for my cars.

He will fit security film to a 3 door 8P front windows for £275, this stuff is bomb proof film, I kid you not. He is really helpful, his name is Craig and you can call him on 07973 234572 when he can explain the ins & outs, pros and cons of security film, tell him Mike the dent man gave you his number ;)
  38. cazza1729

cazza1729 Filthy Oil Burner

[May 15, 2013]
  39. Mikemc

Mikemc Scooby Slayer

[Aug 26, 2013]
    Has thefts calmed down now then?
  40. Lewbo

Lewbo OEM Retrofitter

[Sep 29, 2013]
    Nope they haven't calmed down my mate got his stolen last night from his black edition. Lots have been stolen from audi an vw's in the past week in hull. Thieving scum bags want there fingers cutting off.
    Royston80 likes this.