1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by warren_S5, Aug 24, 2011.

1. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

lmfao good idea, but ideally dont want them seeing the rns in 1st place, as normally if they're serious tea leaves they wont touch the car if its not got anything of worth.
  2. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Actually khufu that may have been a moment of genius

I'm going to get a static cling vinyl sticker of this made up and each stick it over the RNSE screen - then tea leaf will think its a tape deck.

[​IMG]
  3. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

4. Ads

Ads License to drive

I'd saved myself a fiver and just use a hammer.
  5. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

The best way to stop people nicking them is to stop buying them. Think very hard what you are buying from e-bay. I bought one from a guy in Lithuania and it came with all the fav destinations of some German guy still loaded. absolutely never again. Being in receipt of stolen goods is nearly as bad as stealing them yourself.
  6. Jules86

Jules86 At work most likely

Hi guys.
    When i had my civic i had my double din stolen. A thing to note is i had a £1000 alarm with everything on it. Made no difference, this kind of theft takes a minute at most. Another thing to note is i screwed it in to the dash to prevent the theft - BIG MISTAKE. If they want something they WILL take it, so ripped my dash out.
    I had to go through insurance as i needed a whole new dash and wiring console. It was nearly £3500 worth of damage!

How i found it
    [​IMG]

Once home
    [​IMG]
  7. Jules86

Oh and a good fix is to buy a much cheaper double din version that will fit over your rns-e, trim it so the front fascia plastic and dials/buttons are left, then attach it to your rns-e when you leave, will look like you own a cheaper version so your car (will hopefully) be left alone, may cost £100 but better than spending £3000 odd pound to fix your car.
  8. warren_S5

UPDATE

I have received an update today from the guy whose RNS-e set this thread rolling.

It seems the thieves who robbed the RNS-e have been back. The owners car was returned all repaired on the Tuesday night, but with a normal head unit rather than a Nav Unit. On the same night thieves attempted to break into the back door of his house (obviously to get the car). Fortunately on this occasion they did not make it in to his house.

Needless to say he is now considering his options as to whether to keep the car, or whether to buy something less obvious. The guy has asked me to remove any personal details from the thread, but felt compelled to bring this to our attention so we can be aware of wahts going on out there.

Given the recent lawlessness high spec vehicles could well become the next hot target for these dirty stinking **** head veriminous pr**ks who feel they have the right to pilfer from those who get off their ar$e$ to do an honest days work in the pursuit of something better than a daily McDonalds, a trip to Lidl and an evenings looting.

Again, our thoughts go out to the chap who may now give up his pride and joy in the pursuit of safety for his family.
  9. J8Y PW

J8Y PW Member

SAD NEWS WARREN!

Hope he manages to find a way round this without selling the car on. Has he thought about improved lighting? Garaging? Security cameras? Etc...
  10. warren_S5

Funnily enough that's exactly what I've requested he does, even to the point of a temporary swap of cars with a family member whose not immediately local to see if the heat dies off (in case they take it as a hint that he's shifted the car).

Terrible to hear forum members or anyone going through this. I'd have CCTV and floodlights up by sunset if I was in his shoes.
  11. gary3306

gary3306 Member

Until we have a justice system with sentences that befit the crime, we will always have an ultra lawless society. Watch an episode of cops with cameras or the like. At the end, they have either all been released without charge, received community service or a suspended sentence. It is ridiculous. I for one would gladly pay an extra x pence in the pound tax if the government announced a 'proper' judicial system and it needed to be funded. I would welcome the death penalty back, particularly for murder. Life meaning life for kiddie fiddling etc
  12. wez3570

wez3570 Member

13. ern

ern Member

Id lash a huge rottweiler in there (with a nappy on) and see what happens
  14. RonstarS3

RonstarS3 Member

Sad times, I'm in the process of buying an rns-e and sure does make you think and second guess where it has originated from. But it's very difficult to tell from e-bay as to whats a genuine sale and whats corrupt. If you spend £500 on a stolen rns-e you also put yourself at risk being that the scummer knows where you live and the code for the unit. Not only that but your fueling him/her to go steal another one for the premium they have just made.

How effective would a stronger tint on the windows be?
  15. jackj

jackj Member

+1
  16. Jules86

Only thing it would do is get you points. Anything more than standard on the front tints are illegal.
  17. Kelza

Kelza MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

18. craig32

craig32 Member

I'm not a big fan of the dark tinted look but I had them done when I had the S3 as my girlfriend sometimes used the car coming from late from work and she said she would feel a bit scared sitting at traffic lights next to cars that were full of guys,

I thought it was funny at first maybe just your odd group of 17 year olds at the wind up but then I read a thread somewhere about S3's getting stolen in Manchester that had been late at night when the thieves had purposely ganged up on a car they knew only had 1 person inside and at that point I felt I had no choice but to get it done, that way you can't tell if theres a skinny 22 year old girl in the car or 5 heavies that have nightmares scared of them

I've not got my S3 anymore and have secure parking in any case but I tell you what I'd hate to stay overnight at a mates and catch thieves trying to break into my car, there is just no way I could control myself even though it would be stupid to challenge.

ahhhh these threads get me angry
  19. rmar

rmar New Member

Only had my S3 for 2 days and my RNS-E has gone already...I am in Leeds. I am thinking of replacing it with a standard Audi Concert cd player but the wiring doesnt seem to work? Anyone help?
  20. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

Are you joking ? S3 what year, Concert CD player 2 Din or single Din, wiring doesn't work.

I'm in Leeds - PM me for a check !
  21. rmar

rmar New Member

Couldnt believe it..its a 56plate. Double din but when I connected it all was no power at all to the unit?
  22. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member

You need a extra power wire for the Concert to work, it's marked up (+UB). On the genuine Audi harness they just take a feed of the pin below.
  23. snoopstasy

snoopstasy New Member

I've already posted previously about the inadequacy of the alarm system. I looked into getting a better alarm, but it won't stop a professional thief. He's gone in under a minute, and these days, the sound of a car alarm is seen only as a noise polluting false alarm.

Instead, I now have infra red CCTV and security lighting and a tracker installed in case the keys are ever taken.

I took the issue up with Audi, but they insisted that nothing was wrong with the security system. I have heard from a reliable source, however, that the RNSE was refused by another car manufacturer as the encryption was weak, yet Audi ignored this issue. This is why there are so many units on ebay. Stronger encryption would mean the unit is non-transferable, I would have thought, assuming you take your log book out of the glove box.

I'm now looking at taking the issue up with Thatcham, as I don't think the alarm system merits a CAT1 status...
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  24. stucker

stucker New Member

I also live in Leeds and about a month ago now had my rns-e stolen from my driveway behind a locked gate. So much damage caused by them getting in and getting the unit out so I had to claim through insurance. I too am extremely concerned about them coming back again - figuring they now know exactly how to do it! The car has now been repaired and I am currently looking to do everything I can to provide additional security. I have fitted an outdoor motion sensitive alarm to alert me if anyone is outside and also looking to get a CCTV camera installed so I can better see what is going on out there.

In terms of lighting I have an existing motion sensitive security light but it is not up to much. Do you guys think that a big always on flood light is the better deterrent? The really annoying thing is knowing all of this stuff is only an extra deterrent, if they want it they will get it no matter what you do - you just then have the extra pain of having spent x hundred extra pounds on additional security that did not work!
  25. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

This thread, is really really sad to read :3sadwalk:
  26. Bashman590

Bashman590 New Member

One of the reasons I haven't added this as an option, not worth the hassle, Audi should be taking more interest to resolve this issue!1
  27. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am bewildered by your alarm comment,where I live an alarm (if loud enough) always gets attention and as for they can bypass it in a minute...no.

On the other hand cctv falls flat on its face with £1.75ps worth of equipment Black balaclava New | eBay and a tracker is not going to do any good unless you have it installed in the rnse
  28. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

Once again a very helpful comment from a so-called 'moderator'

Do you actually have anything useful to contribute ?
  29. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

[​IMG]
  30. voorhees

I think I must do as have a lot more likes than you
  31. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

I was referring to this thread where you appear (to me ) that you don't give a stuff and have no useful suggestions. I happen to know the guy that had his car trashed as I actually helped him install the system! I thought he was asking for advice to make every effort to stop it happening again. You offered no advice, just knocked his ideas.

The re-vamp of the site removed all existing thanks and moved the goal-posts as far as recognition is concerned. I don't remember 'likes' previously - just thanks for help.

I had a lot of thanks - not really interested in likes because they are purely subjective, thanks mean you have actually done something to help.
  32. voorhees

Look at post 39
    And I have had some cretin rip my mirrors off and another try and break in to my house after these the Police came round and the advice they gave me was exactly what I passed on.
    Also I have an rnse so thats why I participated Mike.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  33. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

OK Voorhees - I'm sorry you have had damage and break-ins and I also accept that the police advice was, at best, useless.

Passing on useless info., albeit from the police is not really going to help anyone. I also have bought an rnse - second hand and with checked provenance so I know it was not stolen. I have not yet installed it and am now unsure whether or not it's a good idea.

Perhaps we could all concentrate on trying to find any method of protection that will at least provide some sort of security. How's about a sign on the car just like tradesmans' vans that say 'no tools kept in van overnight'.

Just change it to either ' equipment illegally removed from this car will self-destruct in 50 seconds' or ' please note - if you touch the dashboard in this vehicle you will receive a possibly fatal shock '.

Only joking but a point for discussion.!!
  34. warren_S5

Appreciate the thread will generate a bit of passion and some personal opinion, but I'd rather the energy was focussed on idea generation :think::idea::o.k:

I don't think there is one hard fast answer, the world evolves, criminals follow demand, what they are prepared to do to get something to earn money will change (become more daring / damaging), so it's a bit of a moving feast to be honest, that may need to be handled in a particular way depending on where you live, and what brand of mindless swamp life lives in your postcode.

I've been liaising with a company that do graphics to see if they could make a faceplate which looks just like a concert CD head unit, that sits over the RNSE when you're parked up. They're looking into costs at present, but I need a very high res photo of a concert head unit for a starter. Button hole would remain for RNSE volume, but then would push into fascia around head unit to locate. Problem may be in low volumes it may be high cost, but I think it's about stopping the opportunist wanting to break in in the first place that should stop most of this petty ebay theft.
  35. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

Fair comment Warren but I don't think it is opportunist theft. Apparently as many as 20 have been stolen in the past month in North Leeds (according to police) so it seems like organised professional gang theft to me.

Be interested on the outcome of your discussions though,
  36. jsosic

jsosic Member

If you need concert photos of high res I would gladly deliver.

Sad sad thread :( Here in Croatia we have a different problem - thefts of expensive mountain bikes... my was stolen last week, and I really did lots of modding :( Avid Juicy 7 brakes with 185mm rotors, Rox Shox Recon 351 air, XT all around :( So sadly I know the feeling, although it's probably even more painful when they trash the car :(
  37. mrpeng

mrpeng 2.0T Quattro

?? so let me get this rite you want to get a sticker created to make rnse nav look like a lesser model that the scum can read and see to get them to start ripping out older models to find out what it is?? sounds crazy to me will open up another can of worms.

to me the solution lies with audi its so easy for them to make a piece of the unit that can be removed to prevent this. tbh it was reading here that made me not purchase the head unit as i dont live in the best area and i feel for you guys that have had these stolen and damage caused. i think finding a aftermarket cure for this will be very hard to find.

sad days in the uk and not just for head units the country is going to the dogs but thats a whole other issue.

Lee
  38. A13x

A13x Member

The GF has been followed twice already and has seen a few people looking into the vehicle. She has a RNS-E Nav Plus Unit. Is there anything I can do to ID this unit? I assume its impossible to secure but atleast if i have an ID i might be able to find it on ebay after?
  39. Jameze

Jameze James

Not sure if this is any help?

If you physically marked the metal casing of the unit with your details they would most likely just sand it off before putting it on eBay. If they're caught in possession though before they get this chance then I suppose you might get it back?

Personally, I'd etch my details on the casing and also scribe all over it in UV pen. It's all you can do I suppose?
  40. snoopstasy

snoopstasy New Member

In 2004, the state of New York almost banned car alarms. Google it if you're unaware. Why attempt to ban car alarms if they 'always get attention'? They don't.

Also, I didn't mention bypassing the alarm. I said the professional thief is gone in under a minute. Window smashed, tools inserted, console pulled out, gone.

I trust you are now less bewildered.