RNS-E Into A3 8P

marms

Reaction score
I have now sourced erverything I need to install the RNS-E into my 2005 A3 8P Sportback. (Single to Double DIN convertion required).

i have not purchased the double DIN climate control as it is way too expensive. I intend to modify my existing one. I have registered on the navplus.us website but cannot login untill I receive an email from them and they haven't sent one after 4 days! I've tried emailing the webmaster but still nothing. If anyone is a member on the site can they post a question for me as when I log in all I get is a message 'Name pending registration'. I need someone to activate my login!

The main reason I want access to the navplus.us forum is to see if anyone hase a template for the required size of the double din climate. I'm sure that there are many people on here who have done the same conversion so someone must have made a template ?? If so, do you want to share it with us all. I read a post somewhere that said you had to measure 5mm each side at the top and 3mm each side at the bottom, join the marks with a straigt line and remove the excess. I'm sure this was for an A4 but maybe the same is required for the A3?

Can anyone help.......please.

I had a similar problem when fitting RNS-E to my A4. I searched but couldn't find any info on how much to trim the climate control. All I did was to measure roughly and hacksawed it making sure I left it a bit on the big side. Then I just took my time filing it ater that and trying it.

It did take some time but I'd far rather do that than take to much off first time round. But it was easy enough to do.

Thanks for that. On the A3 it looks as though the climate in the double din configuration is slightly shaped. ie not a straight top to bottom cut as in the A4. Looks like there is plenty of potential to **** this up and I really don't want to do that!.

So if anyone can help with a guide or template then I would be very greatful.

or...... just thinking ......

Could some kind person who doesnt mind removing their double din climate please make a tracing or take measurements to help?? Could even be some beer tokens on offer for your help :icon_thumright:

I did see a guide on an A3 single-to-double DIN retrofit around a year ago where the guy measured up for the climate panel by using a piece of cardboard (incidentally, this guide was pulled from the web because scammers were copying it and selling it on eBay).

Basically, you take a piece of cardboard and keep cutting it down slightly each time until it fits in the lower part of the centre console perfectly. Then use it as a template over your existing climate control panel. In the guide, the guy used a Dremel to get a nice finish on the plastic.

The only thing I am unsure of is whether you'll be able to measure this up before the RNS-E is in place or after you've fitted it. May only be afterwards, once the buttons across the middle are installed too.

With regard to navplus.us, my login took a while but I'm sure they'll sort it. Most of the moderators are based in the US so there will inevitably be a delay. If you still don't get any joy, drop me a PM and I will contact one of the moderators directly.

Thanks for the help Ben. I will give it a few more days for navplus.us and if still nothing, I'll send you a PM.

Has nobody on here done the single-to-double converstion and modified their existing climate? If you have i would dearly like to hear your comments on what you did. Otherwise it looks like I'm doing the cardboard template thing but I have to say I'm a little apprehensive about taking this on. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the damn thing.

I did have a thought looking at mine while driving today. In the A4, and I'm sure the A3 will be the same, the top of the climate control is the same width as the bottom of the RNS-E.
Measure the RNS-E and cut the Climate one mm wider on either side. Its a good starting point and then it just takes care with a file.

Sinny71, thanks for that but the A3 is different.

A3 has nav at top followed by buttons + tray then climate

Just looking at the A4 it is a straight line top to bottom cut but it looks bowed on the A3 so I guess it's more difficult to judge.

I guess you are right that the top of the climate needs to be the width of the bottom of the button trim panel but I still think it would be far easier using a template made directly from a existing double din climate. Would save all the guess work and I would end up with a unit identical to the factory item. So once again, If anyone has a double din or has modified their single din (only if it fits well) I would much appreciate your help with either a traced template of just some dimmensions.

Cutting the A3 air con is the hardest thing to do, it is shaped like this

| 0 -- 0 |
\______/

But the top lines taper in as well, so you have to be very careful.

There was a guide on ebay for doing this, but no template that I know of, the 2 that I have done were tricky and done by trial and error, fortunately with no error.

I saw one that "another company" had done the other day and there was a 1mm gap on the left and a 5mm gap on the right. I pointed this out to the owner who was not impressed.

s8craig said:
There was a guide on ebay for doing this, but no template that I know of, the 2 that I have done were tricky and done by trial and error, fortunately with no error.
This is the guy's website who put together the guide (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bah.bah1/). There's also details about how to buy a guide from his website, but I would drop him an email first.

benw123 said:
This is the guy's website who put together the guide (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bah.bah1/). There's also details about how to buy a guide from his website, but I would drop him an email first.

Thanks Ben,

I've actually contacted this guy and made a donation for his RNS-E Installation guide.

It is very good and mentions using a template for cutting the climate but doesn't actually go in to detail or indeed provide a template. I'll drop him an email and see what he says.