cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
HI ......

Just about to retrofit a rns-e unit into my 2007 A3, :p

I need some on advice on were to place the GPS Antenna, I have
seen some sites saying to remove the glove box and fit above that
but i dont really wont to remove any parts as the car is so new.....

Any ideas were would be best to fit it please and were have you got
yours in the car....?:think:

cheers........

Clive,

I tried installing it in at the back of my RNS-E but you will only get about 3-4 satellites, out of a possible 8.

I too was a bit reluctant about taking the glovebox out, but it is really so simple as you can see in the earlier thread. And there are loads of metal areas in there to attach the magnetic base of the gps module to.

It is 100% worth doing this as I always have 8 satellites most of the time. The glovebox goes back in so easily as well and leaves no trace!

If you need more help just give me a shout!

Terry

Hi Clive,

I have mine currently on top of the glovebox (it might have been my own guide you read!), but I'm gonna have to move it again as the reception isn't great. Like Terry, I noticed there's more space behind the glovebox so next time I'll put it in there.

Ideally though the best thing to do is get a sharkfin antenna to go on the roof at the back of the car. Not only does this guarantee the best possible satellite reception, but this is how Audi supply the A3 with the RNS-E; the sharkfin comes as standard. So your retrofit would be factory-perfect, if you see what I mean! OE sharkfins go on eBay from between £30-£60, and longer term this is definitely something I'm going to look into.

benw123 said:
Hi Clive,

I have mine currently on top of the glovebox (it might have been my own guide you read!), but I'm gonna have to move it again as the reception isn't great. Like Terry, I noticed there's more space behind the glovebox so next time I'll put it in there.

Ideally though the best thing to do is get a sharkfin antenna to go on the roof at the back of the car. Not only does this guarantee the best possible satellite reception, but this is how Audi supply the A3 with the RNS-E; the sharkfin comes as standard. So your retrofit would be factory-perfect, if you see what I mean! OE sharkfins go on eBay from between £30-£60, and longer term this is definitely something I'm going to look into.

thanks for the info...

so you say you have it on top of the glovebox at the moment, did you have to remove the glovebox to do that ???? or did you just place it on it when you fitted this rns-e unit ????

let us know how the re fit behind the glovebox goes.......

Yes, I had to take the glovebox out, but it is amazingly simple. If you click on the "RNS-E Sat Nav" link in my signature (below), there's instructions with pictures. It really is very easy and even a DIY beginner could do it!