Rns e DVD

vr6gordy

Reaction score
Been out for the day in my car and the sat nav disc won't load .... It's played up before but this time it won't load
up at all so I got on I pad and did a bit of research and its a copied disc I have so I found a vag item on eBay of 46 quid they say it a jen copy ...lookin at pics of disc it looks different to my copied disc so I think it's Jen .. Fingers crossed

I've ran copied disc's in all my Audi's & VW's cars over the years and never had a problem, the only time I get failed to read is when the laser dirty. It's an easy fix, you remove the unit and take the top off the nav then with a cotton wool bud & lens cleaner to clean off the laser.

​Gordy, genuine disks are more than £46. :) x

I've ran copied disc's in all my Audi's & VW's cars over the years and never had a problem, the only time I get failed to read is when the laser dirty. It's an easy fix, you remove the unit and take the top off the nav then with a cotton wool bud & lens cleaner to clean off the laser.
its not a dirty lense cos it reads other discs I put in

Last edited:
I've only ever used a copied disc for a few months in the last 6 years, why? Because when the weather got really cold it became unreadable, so it's genuine discs only for me.

its not a dirty lense cos it reads other discs I put in
CDs or DVDs? Single or dual layer DVDs?

CDs and single layer DVDs are much easier to read with a dirty lens, bit since map DVDs are dual layer they tend to have reading problems before any other type of disc.

If it's advertised as a "genuine copy", then it's a copy - sneaky use of language, but you won't get your money back.

That said, copies are usually £10 (if you can't do them yourself), so it sounds about right for somebody recycling an older DVD, new originals are £200 for the set of 2 (UK&W Europe / E Europe).

link to the add

it will of ended yes cos i got it lol and bahn i can get a refund if im not happy with it .. its says on the addy on ebay if im not happy he will give me a refund -p and p

Got my new disc today and its a gen one so put in it rns e and worked straight away

​Gordy, genuine disks are more than £46. :) x

As I just discovered speaking to my local Audi parts chap! Fortunately, I was in the smallest room when he called me. Which was fortunate, as I nearly evacuated my bowels when he told me it was over £200!!

Holy wallet-gouging, Batman!

Ordered a set of 2013 discs from eBay for £17.

Ordered a set of 2013 discs from eBay for £17.
At £17 those will almost certainly be copies.

I used a copy for the first time this Winter, and on cold days the DVD was unreadable (never had that for 6+ years when using a genuine DVD) so I bought some genuine ones from eBay and the problem went away.

At £17 those will almost certainly be copies.

I used a copy for the first time this Winter, and on cold days the DVD was unreadable (never had that for 6+ years when using a genuine DVD) so I bought some genuine ones from eBay and the problem went away.

Yup, I'm sure they are copies. For £17 it's worth a punt, so I'll see! You make a good point because I only use sat-nav on rare occasions and it would be annoying to try and use it in 'n' months time only to find it's not working any more.

In generic use cases, I've often found that the reliability of a DVD copy is often down to the quality of the disc media, so if these are a standard ISO image, I'll probably back it up (after an integrity check) so I can re-burn onto higher quality media if necessary.

Of course, if they turn out to be utter pants straight from the off, then I'll be giving the seller the gift of feedback. :)