RNS-E differences

EddyH

Reaction score
I've done a search but can't seem to find an answer on this. I've seen both 2002+ and 2007 model RNS-E's on ebay some even from the same seller. Would there be any difference in useability if they were both running the latest discs?

I don't think that the newer version function any different from the older ones. With the latest DVD they will both be running the same firmware.
There is allegedly a gain in the speed that SD cards are read on the newer units.

It seems that the newer units command about a £100 premium over the older RNS-e so I'd go for the latest you can get your hands on. After all, a newer unit is exactly that, newer. The DVD drive may be the weak link on the old units if they have been heavily used.

There seems to be a never ending supply on eBay so keep your eye out and look out for a bargain.

How does the RSN-E fit Into a sympthony III Slot, The facia is more rounded etc.....

Do you get me...

Thanks. What about the adaptor cable is ebay best for that or kufatec?

It's double DIN but is a symphony II not II+, the car is a 2003 model so I'm pretty sure it needs the adaptor loom.

I got mine from Kufatec. Excellent service and you can use their website to specify exactly what equipment you have in your car and they build a adaptor to suit. If you are unsure about anything then email them and they reply in double quick time and seem to have a better grasp of the English language than a lot of locals. (Particularly in Lincolnshire :))

As far a suppliers of RNS-e. I'll second Nikin777. Several members on here have bought from this seller and had no problems. Mine came incredibly well packaged and was in perfect, as new, condition.

I also contacted Ultimate Velocity in Leicester and was put off by the fact that they had no idea what they were selling. I asked which version they were selling and the guy didn't even know. Said it didn't matter anyway as the firmware made them all the same. When I said that a version A could be 2004 and therefore had 3 years of use he basically said 'you get what you get'. I now see they are offering the later units but for £150 extra.
Why bother with that when you can get the latest versions from Nikin777 for quite a bit less money.

I had a look at his ebay ads - Where the feck does he get all those units from?? Are they boxed? Or used units? Just shows too that the dealer markup is daylight robbery.

If the dealer *does* indeed make so much profit on these units would it be possible to get an enourmous discount? Along the lines of "well sell me the unit factory fitted for xxx price or I'll just get it on eBay and you'll make nothing".

If i bought one of these RSN-e units off ebay, are they easy to change the sympthony III for the sat nav.

Who on here with VAG com would be able to do this.

DM

mitch, i'll drive upto yours so you can help me hehehehe

Cool, i'll keep it mind if the bank balance ever recovers hehehe.

How come you didn't go for Bose? I'm thrilled with mine but the GALA nearly defeaned me the other day.

Ye I suppose.

Off topic. I'm liking the black rings on your grill.

DM

I'll 3rd nikin777 too, no probs with mine!

Very easy to change and I have gone for the bluetooth prep too, would def reccomend this if you have the RNS-E. Just get into the car with your phone in your pocket and all the info appears on the sat nav screen and you can control your phone via the sat nav.

JamS3 said:
I'll 3rd nikin777 too, no probs with mine!

Very easy to change and I have gone for the bluetooth prep too, would def reccomend this if you have the RNS-E. Just get into the car with your phone in your pocket and all the info appears on the sat nav screen and you can control your phone via the sat nav.

I am planning to do the bluetooth soon as well as the Nokia kit that's in the car at the moment isn't very good. How much is the bluetooth kit and where from?

Sat nav arrived at my work today closely followed by the wiring loom, just need the GPS aerial now which I'm hoping will be at home.

EddyH said:
I am planning to do the bluetooth soon as well as the Nokia kit that's in the car at the moment isn't very good. How much is the bluetooth kit and where from?

The kit is £399 fitted by Craig on this forum or £345 (I think) without fitting, a bit expensive but its totally factory and I can compensate the cost by me thinking on the possible £60 tickets and 3 points I may get by answering the phone without the kit. It will pay for itself after a while!!

mitch78 said:
And is it easy to fit? I fancy it sometime soon too, maybe as a Christmas or birthday present from the new daughter!

Craig fitted mine but it seemed fairly easy to do after me seeing it done.

Bluetooth box fits in allocated position underneath the passenger seat and carpet, wire runs up to sat nav and from there a wire branches off up the a pillar into the light on the roof where the microphone is located also in a allocated position.

Totally factory fit and the phone also rings through the car speakers and mutes any music you have playing and returns to it when the call is ended.

Really much better not having to take your phone out of your pocket and put in a cradle!

N8KOW said:
what is rns-e??? :rolleyes:

Its the sat nav system that is fitted to the 8P A3 and S3, just their model number for it the older units being RNS-D in the older 8L A3 and S3

JamS3 said:
Where are who did you get it from in the end?

How does it have a faulty drive?

A guy on ebay with decent feedback.

There's a disc in the drive but it shows as empty and won't eject. I'm trying to get a refund but if things don't work out I've found a guy on navplus who can replace the laser for me as he thinks that's the problem.

No probs mate. have you spoken to s8craig on here, what he does not know about the RNS-E is not worth knowing and he may know exactly what is wrong or may have the parts at his place to fix it.

He is based in Manchester which is not far from you, if you look him up on here and look at some of his posts his mobile number will be on the bottom of the post, give him a bell.

No probs!

You may have spoken to him already on navplus, he signs in as craigyb?

mitch78 said:
I think there's even an option in vag-com to disable the disc eject button, I don't know if that's any help, just an idea of something to look at first.

Yes there is.

STG 56
Channel 67 (Eject CD/DVD)

000 - default
001 - eject CD/DVD
255 - eject button locked, no eject possible

Mine came set at 255 so I couldn't eject the DVD. Changed to 000 and works normally now. Although sounds like you may still have a problem witht he drive if it doesn't read the disk already in the drive.

EddyH said:
A guy on ebay with decent feedback.

There's a disc in the drive but it shows as empty and won't eject. I'm trying to get a refund but if things don't work out I've found a guy on navplus who can replace the laser for me as he thinks that's the problem.

open up the top lid and push the disc out with a pen mine did this when i first got it. been fine since

It was a bit worse than just the disc being stuck, there's brown muck all behind the screen. I've opened the unit up and it's all over the inside too. I think it's come from a car that's been in one of the recent floods!

Anyway as I was getting no response from the seller I decided to completely strip the unit and clean it and the disc. After putting it back together the drive would accept a disc, however it would only recognise audio CD's and not the not the nav disc. The nav disc was as clean as I could get but still has some major scratches etc.. I decided to clean the lens and then try the nav disc again. I got it working but I've been testing it for the last couple of days and I'm still getting occasions where it doesn't recognise the disc, this could be due to the disc though not the nav unit. Does anyone have a backup they could send me? Interestingly one of the recent destinations in the memory was Tewksbury. :ermm:

Funnily enough I noticed in the local rag the other day that abandoned Audi's had been targeted by thieves.

rich1068 said:
Funnily enough I noticed in the local rag the other day that abandoned Audi's had been targeted by thieves.

It came with the original manual and code card which showed no signs of water damage so I'm sure it's legal.