1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-e Aluminium dials

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MarcQuinlivan, May 21, 2008.

1. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

The knobs arrived in the post yesterday, but I wasn't home, so I nipped down to the post office this morning to collect them.

The top knob was easy to remove, bit the bottom one didn't look like it wanted to come off. After much pulling and twisting of the knob it wouldn't come off.

I decided to have a go at taking the RNS-e apart. Took a while, but once I got the front off and the bit behind the screen out it became clear that the volume knob does not come out without removing the front of the unit. There's a fat end on the back of it and it pushes through from the back to the front.

The volume knob is just a straight swap, but the top one needed a bit of DIY as it stuck out too far if left as it was. I've hacked most of the inside out of it, but it is still a bit far out. I might give it another bit of a trim on the inside and attach it with a bit of silicone onto the clip.

Probably doesn't make much sense inless you can see what I'm talking about.

I've taken a few photos and will post them a bit later.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Urm interesting I thought I saw something like that on the smaller one, I'm gonna have a look tomorrow at that one matey, at 1st I thought was a screw head but now I can picture it as you say a pressure plastic pin through middle, have an idea for that.

Do they look better than originals though Marcus?

Sorry been bit quiet recently on the rs4 start button completion & other mods just awaiting new laptop screen to fix mine then I can get back onto VAG as I'm twitching at the moment to get **** done.

4. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

The screw on the top knob is actually the bit that turns when you turn the top knob. It is the bit that makes the clicky noise when you twist it or press it.

They don't look too bad when installed. The aluminium\chrome fits in niceley with the other bits. Just need to sort the inside of the top button to make it sit in a bit further. Should get around to that tomorrow hopefully - as well as fitting my start button.

I'll get the photos of the knobs up later, and document the start button install fully too.

I was fitting cruise control in my brother's GTI yesterday and had to remove the wheel and lower steering column cover. I couldn't see into the back of the barrel, but there was a black rectangular connector with a load of wires in it, including the red and yellow ones you mentioned, under the steering column. Is this where I tap into the system for the start button, or do I need to go all the way to the barrell?

5. NHN

I'll post on the button thread fella.

Didnt have chance today to investigate the knobs/buttons as doing some ebaying in prep for italy move, wanna go there lite as possible, just remembered my bloody bike has to come aswell, lol, great, bloody bike rack needed now.

6. ludoboy

ludoboy New Member

Hello everybody,

i am new here, i will do a little presentation somewhere.

just a little qwest @ MarcQuinlivan:

i have well understand the mod but it is always more clear with some pics.
    Since the 1st of June, have you got some news, some pics of the installation ?
    can you explain the mod with some pics

many thanks;

Regards from Paris (FR):rockwoot:

Ludoboy

7. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

Anyone knows where I can get these from? looked on ebay and there is none:/.

8. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

From Audi, but you might as well just sell your current RNS and buy a 2010 one, alot easier.

9. S3RYE

S3RYE Interior Next!!

+1

10. RedDejavu

Thanks N8, I think I wont bother then, got mine really cheap and all this hassle of selling/buying would be simply too much for me for such a small improvement, might just wait till I get enough savings to buy a new car lol:D. That would be no brainer.:salute:

11. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

The 2010 RNS is a massive improvement, much higher screen res and unlimited capacity on SD cards

12. RedDejavu

I look to get a new car dec/jan anyway so dont want to spend too much especially when my car is 07 plate and due to be sold :/. However small touches like chrome bits are always welcome and make me enjoy every mile even more. Yes I'm a bit of a snob:].

13. Tracebuzta

Tracebuzta Member

I just did the button swap, and it was NOT easy..... the fronpanel has to taken off :wtf:
    The top button is not fitting the way I would like, but maybe it just needs som glue...... any hints on this?

14. NHN

I offer fitting services for the knobs if interested, but its not a fiver job :)