1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-E 2009 NAVIGATION EUROPA DISC

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by khan_1212, Oct 23, 2010.

1. khan_1212

khan_1212 Member

Is it possible to burn a copy of these disc to keep for back up, as i dont want the original disc to get damaged, And will the burned copy of the disc work in the rns-e unit? If so how can i go about to copy the disc, and what software to use?

Thanks

2. itsmeagain

itsmeagain 1.8T Sport Cabriolet

I have had a couple of copied 2010 discs, they seem to work for a while then start freezing.

3. bluequattro

bluequattro Member
    VCDS Map User

ive done this with verbatim media blank dvds, so far all is well m8

cal

4. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I had a Vertabim copies 2009 disc, and all was well until I went to Strasbourg and tried to get to an restricted access area of the city. Each time I tried to get to the central square the system was furiously trying to re-route me, and then all of a sudden I got blue-screen on the NAv with an error message telling me to go to the dealer immediately for the Nav Unit to be checked.

When I got home I went straight to the Audi dealer, bought one of the new 2010 Nav DIscs (the summer offer @ £169), and its worked far faster / better since.

5. dave_ph

dave_ph Member
    VCDS Map User

170quid for a nav disk?! fecking hell thats damn expensive when you think you can get a tomtom for far less than that!

6. khan_1212

khan_1212 Member

Thanks, but what software did u use to burn the 2009 disc..?

7. klik

klik Member

Imgburn

8. khan_1212

khan_1212 Member

kool, do you know what option to choose from imgburn ie write image file to disc/create image file from disc etc??
    and what settings to select when burning?

Thanks

9. klik

klik Member

10. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

It is bloody expensive (and gives some indication of why Nav costs so much in Audi's with the included TMC lifetime subscription), but I've been across to mainland Europe 3 times in the car this year, and when it blue screened on me in the middle of Strasbourg I'd have happily paid £150 for an immediate solution! They're usually much more than that, so I thought I would buy one whilst it was on offer. The 2009 copy I'd purchased for £20 hunts constantly, and the risk is it will knacker the RNS-E optical reader mechanism if it is worked too hard.

Fair to say it is very pricey, but I think it did add some very basic functionality enhancements to the mapping, although the Swindon bypass to Cheltenham which has been built since 2008 still isn't accurately mapped!

11. klik

klik Member

I don't doubt what you say about the original but could it be that the copy you purchased was not good?
    Wanting to protect my originals, I am using a perfect 2010 copy (2 DVD's).
    Travelled across Europe, used both DVD's and never had a problem. Speed is exactly the same as the originals.