RNS-D Issue

SubbyG00n

Reaction score
Hi All!
I've just got myself an RS6 C5 (2003) and I think there's a fault with the head unit. Since I'm used to old Jap cars I have no idea how this RNS-D system is meant to work. I've got no instructions with the unit and I've only found iut it's an RNS-D from comparing pictures of the head unit on google images. It has a 6 disk CD changer in the boot as well as DVD screens in the headrests and a seperate DVD changer next to the CD changer.
Does anyone have a pdf of the instruction manual i could have so i can read it and suss out how to use the damn thing?
Every time I turn it on there comes up an error message saying something along the lines of there being trouble connecting then if i press return i can get the music to play but the satnav doesn't do anything. I'm currently out the country working so can't double check as of yet, when i do get home in a week i only have one day home before taking a long trip with people in the back so i'm on here now with my vague memories of picking the car up and driving it home one time before coming to work which I'm hoping i can gather enough info to get it fixed in the one day when i'm home before we take our trip (to Leeds Festival).
CD changer works as does the TV screens in the back (according to my back seat passengers on a 1 mile trip), however when i turn the ignition on the head unit does not turn on by it's self, I need to physically push the on button on the head unit. Then when i stop the car and take the keys out and even when i lock the car and walk away the head unit will stay on until i pysically press the power button to turn it off.

I was lead to beleive by the dealer that this was the standard unmodified ICE system streight from Audi when the car was purchased so I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be a connection to the ignition?!?

I've fitted loads of aftermarket stereos on 90s Jap cars but this thing's a bit too integrated and complicated for me to suss, especially without any manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

G00n

Yes all UK RS6 models came with RNS-D, 6 CD changer and TV tuner. The connection message is possibly the TMC module, but I can't be sure unless you post the exact message, but in general the connection is about the TMC.

Now it's strange that it doesn't power on/off with the ignition as these units have a switched live to turn then on/off and not woken up from can bus messages. So maybe it's faulty, or maybe someone has messed about with the wiring.

To be honest the RNS-D is old hat now and the CD only covers the UK and Ireland, you could upgrade the system to the RNS-E which covers Europe on DVD and is a much better system. I have attached a pic of the RNS-e installed in an RS6 done by myself.

Attachments

• DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 290
I got a PDF manual that I can sort out for you tomorrow.

The message that comes up does sound like it's the TMC, like Craig said.

If you power the system up and press down arrow and the AS button at the same time it will show you a connection list. The Chances are the CAN-Gateway will say not connected.

My TMC never worked cause it blew its fuse. If it's the same with yours I can replace it.

Class, Thanks Craig and Scott. That RNS-E seems a bit pricey for what you get TBH. My last car (Classic Scooby) had a single CD head unit and an intermittently broken speaker so anything's an improvement. Until my Scooby I was well into the ICE with full builds in previous cars but then upon getting the Scooby I tended to just listen to the engine, haha.
TMC does sound like the right TLA so hopefully it is that. If it's a case of simply replacing a fuse I should be able to manage that one.
I look forward to having a ready of that manual Scott, much appreciated.

Class, Thanks Craig and Scott. That RNS-E seems a bit pricey for what you get TBH. My last car (Classic Scooby) had a single CD head unit and an intermittently broken speaker so anything's an improvement. Until my Scooby I was well into the ICE with full builds in previous cars but then upon getting the Scooby I tended to just listen to the engine, haha.
TMC does sound like the right TLA so hopefully it is that. If it's a case of simply replacing a fuse I should be able to manage that one.
I look forward to having a ready of that manual Scott, much appreciated.

Its SMB fuse, soldered on to the board.

Manual
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vys3xndw8gd3le6/rnsd_manual.pdf

My test bed for the blown fuse.

Looks messy but it worked for testing reasons.

Oh ok, gotcha Scott, thanks for the manual. Where are you and what would you charge to replace the fuse if when i get home that is the problem?
I'm now a bit concerned that there's some messed up cabling which could be dangerous as fuses normally don't blow for now reason.
Cheers

I'm based in Plymouth/Bristol.

Cover postage both ways and a token gift on top for a pint of cider. :)

It could be anything from a jump start to a dodgy wiring, its hard to tell really.
Take the unit out and when its out have a quick eye up of the cables, see what's going on.
i can replace the fuse and if it goes again, I'll replace it again. :)

Champion cheers. When I'm home from work in a week or so (actually probs after Leeds festival) I'll take the unit out and check the condition. I'll PM you if I require you assistance :)

I've been home briefly then streight bk to work so no time to get the head unit out to check connections yet but I have read the message and it says words to the effect of: Connection to RDS-TMC tuner is faulty or could not be established
And tbh I don't even know what rds-tmc is but I do also have issues with 2 of the 3 screens being fuzzy when playing a DVD but since one works fine I'm hopingits a connection fault. Sorry if my typings off as I'm doing this on my mobile after 24 hrs awake at work and the screen isn't showing me the text as I type.
When I get home again in a couple of weeks I will attempt removing the head unit and following the wires :)