1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNS-D into an allroad. Don't laugh please.

Discussion in 'Satellite Navigation' started by deanosabby, Apr 3, 2012.

1. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: postbody"]Hi Forum,
    I know this has been asked more than once on here but could I just get a few pointers?
    I have a 51 reg my02 allroad fitted with a symphony 2 HU and BOSE and have just bought RS_Nicks RNS-D for a bargain price and was wondering what I would need to make this work in my allroad.
    Is the TMC module essential if I don't want the directions on my DIS?
    I know I will need a GPS aerial but what else?
    Sorry for the post as you guy's must be getting fed up with people doing the hard thing instead on using an RNS-E.
    I am only replacing the symphony 2 as the buttons are peeling and thought the RNS-D would look better in the dash.
    Cheers,
    Deano.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

TBH you would have done yourself a favour having an rns-e
  3. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

I hear you mate but it has been an expensive month so far with a duff remap ruining my coil packs and the mot/service coming in at over a grand plus RFL too.
    I am getting another map this month which is another £400 so went down the RNSD route as it was only £140 to buy which is way cheaper than the RNSE model.
    it has arrived today so will post up pics of the cables it has come with just incase these are the right ones or not.
    Ta,
    Deano.
  4. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

Here is a pic with the cable it arrived with.
    [​IMG]
    The long black one on the right is for an ipod interface.
    Ta,
    Deano.
  5. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

6. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

7. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Duff remap, surely you got your money back & asked for some remuneration for the coils damaged?

Who did the map?
  8. s8craig

s8craig Active Member

9. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

Well spotted mate.
    I'll give them a phone tomorrow just to make sure I get the right things.
  10. deanosabby

deanosabby Member

The map was an upsolute map that was done at my house by a company from Chesterfield. I did tell them it was not running right within the specified time but I was told it would be a hardware problem and not the map, "probably the coils". Well it was the coils and I had it checked out by Stuart at SP autobahn who does revo mapping and he is convinced it was the upsolute map that ruined them.
    I had him take it back to standard for now until I fit them and then I'll get him to do a proper job.
  11. PeteS

PeteS Member

To get the DIS to display Nav Data you will need the TMC module plus the associated wiring. The TMC module not only provides traffic data it also converts the data from the RNS-D to display on the DIS.

It is not a simple matter to fit the the RNS-D into the Allroad if it has the standard radio. Some of the wiring needs to be changed and you need to tap into three signals from the back of the dash pod. One is speed pulse which tried not to use but the update from the GPS signal was very poor.

Also the RNS-D does not have a CD Player so you will need either a fit a CD Changer or fit an ipod interface.

There is no plug and play wiring loom but it is possible to get the wiring sorted. A couple of the US Forums have the details.

Hope this helps.

Pete S