1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rns-d done few niggles need sorting with your help :)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by cjsuk, May 15, 2013.

1. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

Ok my bargin all in cost of £65 RNS-D install is done, had to do some trimming to the aircon and the rns-d but its in and looks ok barring the gap at the top which will be filled with something eventually.

I have vag-commed it all up too so the speakers work etc and to supposedly to work with the dash.

The few niggles I have.

1. Nothing coming up on the dash cluster, Its all programmed to do so but it's just not happening do I need the tmc (26 pin) cable thingy I read about?

2. There's no illumination for the buttons, I can see on the unit sticker there is a pin for the illumination but the connector from the car this pin is empty with no cable in to it on the chorus I had in the sticker does not mention an illumination pin (unless im blind).

3. I have a humming and whine from the rear sub and speakers I have my own amp wired to the original cables barring the power which is direct from battery the sub and rear speakers are run off this BUT it was all 100% fine and dandy with the chorus.

4. The unit does not power on and off with the ignition.

The only thing I have done is the safe pin to the perm live (connection wise), so what other cables do I need to chop cut swap etc OR is it that tmc cable I need?

I have done the stikies and searched but a lot of things are conflicting.

Just for your info its a 2001 AUM A3 originally with chorus 2 radio.

Thanks

P.S. if you need piccies for reference lemme know I have loads :)
  2. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

erm...........bump...anyone?
  3. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

Still searching......... google was my friend, not now........anyone? definitive answer to what I need pretty please with cherrys and whipped cream on top!

Oh the sat nav don't move either! Got 7 satellites finds my location but when I move erm, it doesn't.
  4. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Sorry mate not sure if i can help much but it sounds like your loom between the car and the RNS-D are not completely compatible hence a few different issues.

Also in regards to the sat nav not picking up your moving or not did you have to run any extra wires? cos when i did my RNS-E install i had to run 3 wires from behind the dash clocks. one was the gala speed sensor wire (so the RNS-E knows your moving and at what speed) plus 2 other to connect the can hi and can lo of the DIS screen.

If you look in the stickies at the RNS-D retrofit fit post i also put a quick guide as to how to retro fit the RNS-E which might shed some light on your probs.

Lastly did you have to recode your car with VCDS to tell it that it now has RNS-D fitted? cos i had to with my RNS-E as it needs to be coded to think its an A6 lol
  5. s8craig

s8craig Active Member

1. Illumination cable required from the lighting switch to the RNS-D
    2. Acc wire required from the ignition to power the unit on/off
    3. Speed pulse wire required from the cluster to the 26 pin connector
    4. TMC unit required to convert the bosch canbus of the RNS-D to the infotainment canbus of the cluster.

So there are your starting points to get an RNS-D working in an 8L
  6. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

Cheers guys.

1. Connected illumination to glove box (works but when I open box they go off lol, my bad, to change)

2. ACC wire, do you know the colour/location ot the cable for that?

3. Speed wire, done some research and connected pin 26 to the blue/white cable on the blue connector on the back of the instrument panel, changed relevant settings in vag com and still no luck, then tried connecting it to the gala pin and changing in vag com, still to movement or speed on the navigation. Have I connected to correct cable behind the cluster?

4. TMC, cant be arsed just yet until I get all the basic functions working.

Cheers