Rims, Springs & Tyres

Reaction score
A much covered topic... and with thanks so far to Abb & PMK.

I'm hoping to get some 19" BBS CH reps in the next few weeks, and want to remove the arch gap in the process. However the H&R 45mm springs which would suit this perfectly are not suitable for my cab (3.0tdi Quattro), which leaves (for H&R) the 30mm springs. Abb has these same ones on his S4 and it looks like the gap is almost gone, however does anyone know of any other springs which would give a 40-45mm drop? The other option is coilovers but I can't justify the expense as I'm only lowering it to make 19" sit right and improve the ride quality with the larger rims. Anyone had experience with the 30mm H&R springs on a cab?? Has it adjusted the height as you wanted??

In addition, I also can't justify x3 the price for official BBS rims when reps will do the same job. So I'm looking for somewhere who sells reps which won't buckle at the first sign of a speed bump and that have a good quality finish. There are some on BM autosport which fit the bill, has anyone had any experience with these guys and reps??

And finally, tyres sizes. I don't want to run stretched tyres so I'm trying to find out if I'll be able to run with a drop of 30mm (possible 45mm if achievable without coilovers) with different rim widths.

I would assume the following:

8j rim = 8 inch width = non-stretched tyre width of 205
8.5j rim = 8.5 inch width = non-stretched tyes width of 215
9j rim = 9 inch width = non-stretched tyres width of 230

However, at present the standard 18" S-line alloys have 235/40 tyres on. Does this mean to have non-stretched tyres a width greater than the width of the rim should be used and if so by how much?

If I were to get 19" 8.5j ET45 reps, use 10mm spacers and run 30mm H&R springs and use 235/35/19 tyres would this achieve what I'm looking for?

I've been trying to work this out for a few weeks now and haven't been able to find a definitive answer so any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

I've just had some bbs ch 18s fitted and also would like to no if there gonna cause rubbing issues there 8j et45 with 215 40 18 tyres and 15 mm spacers and handr springs

If you have a quattro it might not like the staggered fitment. Yours will be fine for 3 reasons:

They are only 18"
They are narrower than standard s-line wheels
The tyres are narrower than standard 18" s-line tyres

i have a saloon 2.0tdi with eibach sportsline springs so 40-45mm drop on rear with 19" wheels 8.5j, et45 with 235/35/19 tyres ,also fitted 15mm spacers today , no rubbing issues here .

Sorry I failed to say its a a3 thanks dan

Then you should probably go to the A3 forum... The guys in there will be able to help you out. The offsets etc are different for an A3 so don't go by what is said in here fr your car.

Dave: Do you have any pics with the wheels/springs? And with the new spacers? How do the wheels sit with the side of the car and the top of the arch? Where did you get your spacers from? Do the tyres sit square? What wheels do you have, and if they're reps where were they from and what's the quality like?

Don't know what the differences on cabs and saloons are but I've got BBS ch ET50 (of an A3 originally)on my saloon, 19" 8" wide sat on 215/35/19 and it's sitting pretty low on 15mm spacers getting them to about ET35 and I'm not touching the arches at all, infact I'm getting 20mm for the back next and putting the 15s on the front

I'd like to think that the offset with the saloon/cab would be the same even if the ride height is slightly different...

Looks like 235/35/19" with ET45 & 10-12mm spacers will do the job as I want then. Wanted to try to make sure before shelling out on wheels, tyres and spacers as they will all be mail order and not come together until they're on the car.

And while I'm taking it to a garage to get the springs done I might as well put some drilled/groved discs and new pads on there too :whistle2:

Having been pointed to www.willtheyfit.com, thinking 240/35/19 will actually give a flat edge with no stretch... looks like such a minor poke it should be fine...

Also thinking if getting spacers from thus guy in the US: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=230777915215 Has been recommended on an Audi forum (maybe this one, not sure), and gets great feedback. Plus its a lot cheaper than the H&R equivalent. Anyone used him for spacers?