Right running temp of s4 1993 2226 engine

Rev-head

Reaction score
Needing some advice on running temp on s4 as i have had a few problem with mine,when cruising the temp sits about 90c thats fine of course but when i get to built up areas or city driving the temp sits about the 100+ mark is this right as i have spent a fortune trying to fix over heating problem with car i have replaced the water pump,all temp switchs,exspansion tank cap ,fan switch,engine flush,after all this i still ask this question as all the work has been done by audi garage when i first took car to them they only replace the water pump and some hoses and said to me that was fine car fixed ,then the next time in city temp gauge went through the roof had to switch engine off sit for a while and take it back to them then they replaced the switchs and so on and say that they are happy with running temp

Any views out there

Any car will heat up in slow moving traffic, since there is no longer enough airflow over the radiator. Hence why additional cooling fans are used. You can ask audi to fit a thermostatic radiator fan switch with a lower 'on' temp. In South Africa we (I) have to use a 85 / 68 switch (on at 85C and off at 68C), otherwise we also get overheating problems in slow moving traffic as the air temp is much higher on average than in Europe. If you can find a switch that will open at say 85-90C and go off at 75-80 you should be fine.

Or if you can review the circuit for the cooling fan you can wire in an override switch to manually kick in the fan if you are worried.

Cheers guys will ask Audi if they have a fan switch that can work at lower temp
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif