Ride Height

S

SteveSAS

Hi Guys, thought I'd go out with tape measure to check my standard ride height to give me better idea of which sports shocks & springs to choose.
Weirdly all my measurements came to the same except near side rear which was 1cm more. Upon checking underneath I measured the rear shocks from the extension point to bottom & sure enough the near side one was longer, in fact nearly 2cm longer in extension.
Can't see either wet with signs of leaking, so is this just a case of old worn shocks (they do look crusty) and just confirms they need some nice new shiny ones or another issue I need to check.
By the way I did get my car 4 wheel alignment done after new tyres and subframe dropped for downpipe fitting.

Cheers guys for reading.

how old are your springs? are you sure they haven't snapped right at the pigtail?

how old are your springs? are you sure they haven't snapped right at the pigtail?
Well hasn't shown up on MOT that anything has snapped, but yes it is all original suspension (95K miles) that's why I will be replacing soon.
Just wanted to know if it was general worn dampers that could cause this. As I said it is only the near side rear that seems to be 1cm higher than the other 3 corners which are identical. I was measuring from bottom of arch to top of centre cap on wheels and getting 30cm and 31cm on near side rear, then under rear of car measuring the two dampers and measuring the extension on the near side one to be nearly 2cm more than offside rear.

Did you have your handbrake on? My old a3 used to tilt to one side with handbrake on.