Rhyso's Family Wagon

Luck for me, my A6 came with new brakes front and rear when I purchased it!

They were ok when I bought the car but clearly got ruined by some sort of foreign object :(

Thankfully the fronts have plenty of life left in them :)

Add to the list of tools should be a trickle charger as you have to leave the ignition on whilst doing the job. I didn't want to find out if the calipers wound back should the ignition disengage! I assume however that the piston will remain retracted until you use VCDS to tell the car you have finished the job

Next up will be to paint the calipers black. I'm also going to going halves with my mate on a DA so we can remove the scratches and swirls from the paintwork on our cars

Might see if I can grab a set of spacers for the rear too........

Had my first go at using the new DA today; didn't have much time so only hit it with a cutting compound. Will be booking a full day soon :smiley:

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Audimad, scottshere, TimM and 5 others
That's an excellent result off just a cutting compound the paint must have been in pretty good shape already,,,, just out of curiosity which DA did you pick up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rhyso

Got the DAS 6 Pro Plus which has the longer 15mm throw. Me and my mate went halves on a load of gear. Figured it was far cheaper than paying someone lol

The paint looks terrible; lots of swirls and plenty of scratches from automated car washes but a heavy cutting pad and some Merzerna cutting compound have worked wonders :)

The front arch I did hit 3 times mind!!

Can't wait to do the rest of the car!!

Reactions: Andykb675
Great start! I've bought the same products (Das 6 Pro plus Menz compounds), just need a day without the Mrs to spend quality time with the car now lol

Have a look on autobrite fella if you're getting into the use of a DA. Their discussion group on facebook is well worth a follow too if you dont already. Looks good for just a cut

Thanks :) really pleased with how they look and they aren't too bright; just a nice clean light

Found a seller on Ebay so the whole kit was £24 delivered rather than some other sellers I saw who wanted DOUBLE the price for the same bulbs

Do you have a link for the bulb set? They look cracking... I want the clean look, but not crazy bright

So had a busy day today.....

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

Then we tried tackling the paintwork with limited success :sad:

Didn't get many photos as we were too busy swearing at the rock hard paintwork. I think we will need a more aggressive pad in order to get rid if the marks. So here's a trick photo hiding the damage with some Dodo Juice Purple Haze lol

IMG_0426.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: amowolves, Andykb675, jojo and 2 others
Can you give me some tips of prepping the caliper, of did you just paint straight on? I want to paint my ones, preferably on the car. I've looks for a 2nd hand set, but they are stupid money, and rare for the BiTdi!

Can you give me some tips of prepping the caliper, of did you just paint straight on? I want to paint my ones, preferably on the car. I've looks for a 2nd hand set, but they are stupid money, and rare for the BiTdi!

I simply used a wire brush attachment on a drill and get the worst lf the surface rubbish off

Then I had some Hammerite Smooth black paint and applied with a brush :)

Only needed the one coat too :)

Reactions: AtotheK and jojo
Paintwork still looks great ! are you being really fussy ?

Also nice touch on the callipers as well ill be doing this job at some point as they do look a little tatty on my '14 plate

Paintwork still looks great ! are you being really fussy ?

Also nice touch on the callipers as well ill be doing this job at some point as they do look a little tatty on my '14 plate

Lol it's amazing what you can do just by taking a photo at the correct angle! :)

There is still some very heavy scratching and swirls all down the bonnet and passenger side which if you stand directly in front you can see. From most angles you can't see anything. The drivers side is 99% defect free. The passenger side about 50% defect free :(

Reactions: Andykb675
This morning I fitted a couple of looms from Robin A3 which enabled me to replace the red reflectors in the front doors for actual LEDS

IMG_0475.jpg

End result
IMG_0474.jpg

Then this afternoon I chucked some soapy water over it as it had gotten a little dirty

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: amowolves, gordie1973, fingermouse and 2 others
What pad type are you using and colour? An orange pad with compound should be enough even on german paint to get 95%+ as long as it's not down to metal...

Big guns are coming out! Shame but if it's never been done before you picked it up which guessing from the pad it hasn't its always going to be that little bit more difficult. Hopefully it works a treat, looks good in the pics anyway :)

So last Saturday I was out with some friends and one of my mates asked if anyone fancied going to France for the semi-final (I'm Welsh by the way)

After about 10 minutes we decided we were going. An hour later we had booked the accommodation and the following day the ferry was booked!

So at 1am Wednesday morning we began our journey

Quick pit stop
IMG_0583.jpg

Arrived at the site
IMG_0585.jpg

MPG for the trip down - 4 lads and a full boot and I wasn't hanging around

IMG_0584.jpg

After nearly a 1000 miles in just a few days the A6 has left me seriously impressed with its capabilities as a long distance tourer. It sat at motorway speeds the same way other cars would potter around town

Even into triple digits the car felt planted and it would clearly go well beyond what I was comfortable doing (which was a fair bit!)

Already planning our next trip when the World Cup qualifiers start in September lol

Last edited:
Reactions: jojo
After nearly a 1000 miles in just a few days the A6 has left me seriously impressed with its capabilities as a long distance tourer. It sat at motorway speeds the same way other cars would potter around town

This.

Covers mileage without breaking a sweat, and despite the 19" rims, no complaints from the other half and junior! Win win! :)

This.

Covers mileage without breaking a sweat, and despite the 19" rims, no complaints from the other half and junior! Win win! :)

On the way to Dover all 3 of my mates fell asleep at some point!! I reckon 99% of that is due to my smooth driving style haha

Reactions: gordie1973
This turned up today

Poured it into the tank so see how we go. Not had any problems but prevention is easier than cure right??........
Alright bud, how did you get on with this? Just pour the whole lot into the fuel tank and drive as normal? DPF activation it happening more frequent of late on my car, I'd like to give it a detox of some sort!

Alright bud, how did you get on with this? Just pour the whole lot into the fuel tank and drive as normal? DPF activation it happening more frequent of late on my car, I'd like to give it a detox of some sort!

Not 100% convinced on it to he honest mate :(

I seem to have a regen every 800-1000 miles or so??? I did 1000 miles to France and back and didn't get one. Few miles of tootling about town and the cooling fans stayed on when I switched off the car........

Jury is still out I'm afraid. Might get another bottle and chuck it in......

Not 100% convinced on it to he honest mate :(

I seem to have a regen every 800-1000 miles or so??? I did 1000 miles to France and back and didn't get one. Few miles of tootling about town and the cooling fans stayed on when I switched off the car........

Jury is still out I'm afraid. Might get another bottle and chuck it in......
No ill effects though right? My car is on 106k now, can't do any harm.

This rhyso from back in the day golfgtiforum you used to have a tuned derv?

German engineering

Awesome don't know if you remember me but I was g60gti16v

German engineering

Had a full service carried out at Cardiff Independent VW Services today; well impressed with the service

They replaced all the filters (including pollen) and the oil with genuine parts for £220 :) Audi wanted £399......

Feeling pleased at my saving I was then brought back down to earth by an idiot driver who swerved out from a space on the opposite side of the road which meant I had to swerve to avoid him and ended up in an argument with the kerb.......

So went to see my mate and have booked it in with him to have all 4 refurbed as the previous owner liked riding the kerbs too. Only going for the standard finish as if I clip them again it starts getting expensive.......

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    911 KB · Views: 216
The correct LED bulbs from Trups arrived yesterday so set about fitting them this afternoon. I now have very little left in the way of skin on my knuckles!!

Also bought some bulbs to replace the 'all weather' bulbs but that's a job for another day as to access the drivers side bulb will require the removal of the airbox......I don't fancy removing the bumper unless I'm replacing the grill at the same time

Also bought some bulbs to replace the 'all weather' bulbs but that's a job for another day as to access the drivers side bulb will require the removal of the airbox......I don't fancy removing the bumper unless I'm replacing the grill at the same time

I recently replaced the all weather bulbs in my Allroad and once I figured out how to... The removal of the air box was actually pretty easy... Getting the fu**er back in however was interesting trying to line up pins and grommets you cant see!!

I recently replaced the all weather bulbs in my Allroad and once I figured out how to... The removal of the air box was actually pretty easy... Getting the fu**er back in however was interesting trying to line up pins and grommets you cant see!!

If it stops raining later then I will give it a go!!