Rfid pouch/wallet for keys

Riko0073

Reaction score
just had a neighbour nearby had his new A4 broken into and took his dashcam and raybans, said car was definitely locked so might have used some scanning device with his key to gain entry as no damage to car.

Does anyone know if these RFID wallets would work to protect the key from these devices that these b@stards are using?

yes they would as they block all radio signals. Have got an RFID pouch on order to put my keys in when in the house just for this reason.

Reactions: Riko0073
yes they would as they block all radio signals. Have got an RFID pouch on order to put my keys in when in the house just for this reason.
Just ordered 2, one for spare set and one to keep my daily keys in when I’m in house instead of on the key hook!

Hope it will help but if these little b@stards want something they’ll probably smash the window anyway!!

I never leave things in the car and remove my hard wire dash cam each night, hopefully the cctv I have installed is also a good deterrent.

I hear of lots of these type of 'breakins' where the owners swear their car's was unlocked when they weren't. Recently the police force here put a warning out against leaving their cars unlocked as over 20 cars in the same street had been been entered and had items removed and they weren't keyless either.
As the police also do warn against leaving anything of any value inside your car, including dashcams, which I warned about not so long ago, it is better nothing is left inside a vehicle..

Reactions: gone and Riko0073
just had a neighbour nearby had his new A4 broken into and took his dashcam and raybans, said car was definitely locked so might have used some scanning device with his key to gain entry as no damage to car.

Does anyone know if these RFID wallets would work to protect the key from these devices that these b@stards are using?
Wrapping the key in aluminium foil is just as effective. I have tested it on mine, neighbour was wondering why I was waving a baked potato at the car.

Reactions: xpoweruk, Paul Golding, rjwojcik and 4 others
With Mercs you can switch off the key. A long press of one of the buttons if I remember rightly. Anyone know if we have a similar feature? Currently using these "Faraday Cage" bags - they work a treat, get no response from the car when held close by.

As mentioned above though, don't forget your spare key in your kitchen bottom drawer ;-) I had :-/

If aluminium foil works then wouldn't a microwave or a fridge do the same?

Yes. But will do the battery no good whatsoever in the fridge and it would only be a matter of time in this house before one of the kids zapped it along with their porridge ;-)

It was only a thought and meant to be tongue in cheek, I don't have kids in my house so its not a problem with a microwave and button batteries have good properties over low temperatures of 1.6c as found found inside a fridge.

They sell a sort of Faraday cage that looks like a basket. It is simple and could be placed in the kitchen for example where you lift the little lid put the keys in and then close the lid. With the stupid UK system of a letter box cut into the door (read: thieves using poles to unhook keys, people pouring petrol in etc) it is best to get in to the habit of keep your keys elsewhere and not in the entry hall. A Faraday type wallet to prevent credit card/car keys issue when out and about is also not a bad idea.

Just get the door and boot sensors switched off.

It’s what I’ve done.

Just get the door and boot sensors switched off.

It’s what I’ve done.

Can you let us know how you did that? Can it be done with OBDEleven?

Am I right in saying that doing this prevents relay type theft, but not the sort that intercepts the signal when you press the key fob?

Reactions: rjwojcik
This is is not about the advanced, or the convenience key, but any vehicle that opens the door with a remote that has keyless start.
Of course they can always get into the vehicle with keyless start anyway and still use technology through the port to start the engine anyway. However it is still the case the majority of vehicles are taken by physically having the keys because people still leave their houses insecure.

This is is not about the advanced, or the convenience key, but any vehicle that opens the door with a remote that has keyless start.
Of course they can always get into the vehicle with keyless start anyway and still use technology through the port to start the engine anyway. However it is still the case the majority of vehicles are taken by physically having the keys because people still leave their houses insecure.

I thought a relay attack could only open the door in the first place if the car has an advanced key. Surely it exploits the signal that's always being given off which lets you just open the door by the handle without clicking the keyfob, and it's that signal that relay attacks use to open the door.

Without an advanced key car, they would either need to imitate the unlock button being pressed on the keyfob (which is a different kind of attack that they have to intercept at the actual time you press the keyfob), or indeed physically break into the car, and only then could they use a relay attack to use keyless-go to start the engine.

I think I might have misunderstood how these attacks work, maybe someone can clarify?

The op doesn't state which type of keys, but, as the vehicle wasn't taken I would assume this wasn't a relay attack that was used otherwise they would have taken the car. Which does make me doubt if the car was actually locked. There is technology out there can scan and grab any remote opening door code anyway...

The op doesn't state which type of keys, but, as the vehicle wasn't taken I would assume this wasn't a relay attack that was used otherwise they would have taken the car. Which does make me doubt if the car was actually locked. There is technology out there can scan and grab any remote opening door code anyway...

That was my thought too, why wouldn't they just take the car if it was a relay attack.

I bought one of the pouches on ebay. At first I didn't think it worked but then I found out there is a separate inner pouch and with the key in that part it works perfect and blocks the signal.

So to answer the OP's question, no these RFID pouches will not stop those kind of attacks. If it's not a relay attack, then it's a click intercept which can only take place when the key isn't in the pouch. Or the car was left unlocked - again, the pouch won't help!

What these pouches could help prevent is a relay attack to get into the car if you've got keyless entry, or (once they've forced the door open) to start the car if you've got keyless start.

Can you let us know how you did that? Can it be done with OBDEleven?

Am I right in saying that doing this prevents relay type theft, but not the sort that intercepts the signal when you press the key fob?

I'd be interested in this as well, is there a link to anything?

Or just have GAP insurance and not worry...

Maybe, but I could do without the inconvenience of my car not being on the drive in the morning.

Reactions: S32B, pierreluigi88, Bellasdad and 1 other person
Well if anyone wants your car and whatever you might do to try to prevent it, they'll have it. I always feel that it is always better to be covered for any eventuality. For £160, over and above the 1st year of the insurance new for old cover, mine is covered for any write off to the value of a new replacement vehicle of the exact same.

I do have GAP insurance but the £3.89 Faraday bag to store the key in whilst in the house just gives an extra bit of security to stop someone so easily stealing my car.

Reactions: pierreluigi88
Last edited:
Reactions: RichardMMM
I understood perfectly , steal-able and actually stolen are completely different.

Ok good, but the majority of s3 's over in the 8v forum were stolen by obtaining the keys...

I don't understand the Kia Optima , surely being a rebadged Hyundai i40 it too and other models should be on the list .

Quite, I do wonder at the accuracy of the article. So many inconsistencies, if the ford galaxy is stealable, which is based on the mondeo platform why not that model. The same technology is used across different models so it should be the case all keyless is vunerable. No mercedes yet there is the well circulated video of one, alledgedly, being taken using the relay method.
Also, and I might be misreading this, if you search for german automotive club it references the german automobile club...

Last edited:
On my new my18 there is a option to turn off convenience access... havnt tried to see what it does yet but may stop the relay attacks

However it obviously defeats the option of keyless

That's interesting, have you possibly some photos you could post showing the settings?

Yeah will do in the morning the neighbours already think I'm mad sat on the drive pairing phones etc... It's a bit dark for the flash going off on the phone

No mercedes yet there is the well circulated video of one, alledgedly, being taken using the relay method.

I was surprised there were no Mercedes on the list, I've seen a number of reports recently of Mercedes being stolen using this method.

You are misquoting the article, only in tests did the A3 appear in their list of most 'stealable', I am referring to which cars are being 'stolen' in the real world as listed by What Car. There is a difference...

Even other news outlets are miss-quoting the PetrolPrices article as 'most frequently stolen" rather than 'stealable'
http://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/list-cars-most-frequently-stolen-955876

Well curiosity got the better of me. The option is unlock with convenience key. It's under vehicle settings.. central locking settings

I can confirm if you untick this box the car won't unlock unless you press the button on the fob

The car will still lock by pressing the button on the handle however

I have left the button unticked for now