Revo...

monkeyboy_marcus

Reaction score
Anyone gone for stage 1? Costs £699 plus VAT, increases from 335 to 410BHP, 450 to 546Nm. Not 100% sure I need this but had stage 1 in the previous VW Scirocco with the SPS (allows you to switch between stock/dealer mode and a variety of enhanced settings) and rated it. Keeps things stealthy too, as no evidence of enhancement. Also get a useful anti-theft setting amongst other stuff.

If I don't do this it will be upgraded tyres, as the Michelin PA4 winter tyres are now off and stock Contis back on, and they don't feel great in comparison. MBK's Super Sports may be on the cards...

Stage 1 map and ohh boy a different feel to the car ,hopefully they will do another 20% discount ,making it 699 all in ;)

Stage 1 map and ohh boy a different feel to the car ,hopefully they will do another 20% discount ,making it 699 all in ;)

Good to know! Might push for a discount anyway, as an existing customer!

My gripes about REVO are;

1/ Although SPS is great because the RS3 has newer locked ECU that they have to be 'switched on' to allow the SPS module to be read via OBD II so it is detectable that it has been mapped / altered
2/ The bhp figure is decent but the torques figure is down on some of the other maps available
3/ If I have read correctly the map is £699+VAT but then the SPS module costs more? Pricey map.

I'm not sure what the advantage of SPS is, if a dealer wants to check your car is remapped, all remaps are detectable

You not liking the contis 5 tyres ?

Having just come off the Michelin PA4s they feel quite skittish, although that may be due to the tyre pressures being all different as the place that swapped them for the winter tyres apparently re-inflated them at random. Filled them up 41psi front and 39psi rear last night and will see if that makes a difference...

I'm not sure what the advantage of SPS is, if a dealer wants to check your car is remapped, all remaps are detectable

IIRC SPS actually holds the map on the dongle and has a access backcount function so a dealer could look at the ECU and the programs / tables amd would only see OEM when the SPS dongle is removed. Or at least I think that was the theory.

Our local Revo dealer still has to send the RS3 ECU away to be unlocked and that was a show stopper for me - just too many ways that could go wrong 'lost' or damaged in the post (ok courier but it could still happen!) and you've got a real problem on your hands. They also charge £100 + VAT for unlocking and £849 + VAT for the Stage II Map!

I'd rather keep the work local where possible and was considering the full 'Stage 2' package FMIC, Milltek turbo back exhaust, Revo Stage II plus LOBA discs and Pagid Pads (£1500), with fitting the all in quote with VAT was £6K. The insurance quotes I've had including all these mods declared and covered remain reasonable. For now I've decided against it after reading some interesting threads on other VAG forums, I've seen some big power claims made but those claims lack the dyno charts to support them.

Stage I and an S-tronic map seems to be the cost effective option unless you are going to be doing lots of hot track work when the FMIC would help of course.

For the number of flat out miles I'd get the benefit in the RS3 I've decided to keep my £4.5 in the future GTR/R8 fund. I might still do the Stage I map once the warranty is up.

Reactions: Kelza
Hi mark,Send the ecu away wow most tuners can take it out and do it there and then...i,m close to 3 local tuners so thats how i i,m going to roll ,just waiting to see if revo are going offer another 20% deal soon....

Yep I was highly dubious of the whole sending the ecu away issue, if they had been able to do this on the spot they'd have had the work. I've used Revo maps before on SEAT Cupras and they always felt strong and quite aggressive maps, I never suffered any problems with Revo so would have been happy to use them again.

I'm keeping the tuning on the back burner for now (like you it will be somewhere that can remove and unlock the ECU on the spot) because the delay got me thinking about what else I could do with the money - which generally means more fun driving days out.