1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revo with standard exhaust?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Fandango80, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Fandango80

Fandango80 Member

Guys, Im lookin to do a remap- most likely a revo... I have a cai but standard exhaust on my 99 qts. Is it worth getting a performance exhaust? I would rather not as i like my quiet tail end. I heard alot of exhausts (like miltek) dont actually improve the flow?

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Dave
  2. campbell

campbell Member

i think the standard exhaust is a good system anyway, i have the revo remap and the SPS3 switch and i like my tail end being quiet too. the power is good and the torque is remarkable, its like driving a different car! mine has just a standard exhaust, i think if you mod the car to have more power then an exhaust is a good option. an uprated exhaust is gonna cost you 500quid approx so i would just keep the money in your pocket!

good choice mate anyway on the revo, i love it
  3. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'd leave the exhaust personally, just get the remap..
  4. jonS3

jonS3 Member

ive got a milltek cat-back and the slight extra noise is perfect, sounds just right, not loud at all, but quite deep

also, if you look at pipe diamater it is the same all the way through, whereas the standard one is smaller at points.

another good thing with it is that the tailpipes look standard but are larger so fits the recess perfectly! looks OEM :)
  5. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Member

Only fitting a cat-back would give absolutelty no performance gain, so if you don't want the extra noise then it isn't really worth it. The only part really worth changing is the Downpipe and CAT, but they're very expensive compared to the performance gains.

Just get the remap. You'll get extra induction and turbo noise from the increased boost that sounds much better than an exhaust ;)
  6. Jampublic

Jampublic Taking it easy..

Yeah but the S3 lacks a real sound, back box is a great idea for some real sound to listen too!!

But of course with a remap, a great combo!

I had a RS fiesta 1800 with a lovely back box on, all i would do is drive and listen to the sound. I would forget to switch the radio on, it was so much fun.

Excuse me, just a big kid!
  7. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Member

The guy doesn't want to increase the noise of his exhaust and there are no performance benefits of a Cat-Back let alone back box, so no need to spend the cash - it will have zero impact on his remap.
  8. Jampublic

Jampublic Taking it easy..

oh may have missed that point!

:shrug:

opps sorry
  9. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Seconded! :salute:

Good for looks but I'm not sure 'performance' exhaust will make too much difference to a TQS.

A remap - up to £500 for 30-50bhp
    An exhaust - up to £500 for next to nothing

It can make a slight difference to delivery; it could bring the torque in slightly sooner making it feel a bit faster.
  10. jonS3

jonS3 Member

i hate loud exhausts, i had a spoon back box fitted to my integra type r for less than a day before I sold it.

When i got the S3, i couldnt believe how quiet it was! IMO with the milltek its as it should have been from the factory! also, when looking at the car from behind, the smaller shiny box looks alot better than the pressed standard flaky black painted box.
  11. Fandango80

Fandango80 Member

Cheers Guys.
    That was exactly what i wanted to hear. Il let you know what she goes like when i have it done. Been looking into it a bit more and definately going for the revo. Broom Broom!!!
  12. Adams3

Adams3 Member

Yeah i agree about spoon exhausts, they are stupidly loud!!

Did you have a Dc2 or Dc5???

I love the sound of my S3 with the milltek, its just a slightly deeper sound and gives some great pops and crackles when its warmed up!!

I just love my Audi!!! lol
  13. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

Exhausts may not work on s3's but they sure do on a3 tqs,the size of the front pipe is a joke,after changing my full system it felt like it had been chipped again ,that much of a difference.The way the turbo spools up now is so much better,i was so surprised at the size of the original downpipe internally it went down to1 1/2- 1 3/4 "inch ,which is ****.S3's are much better designed,tq's are most definately not ,regardless of what others say.The only trouble you will have is finding a off the shelf performance downpipe for a tq ,unless the likes of milltek etc now make one to suit tt 180 q's,worth a try.When i did minewe had to custom make one,as there was nothing available.Mine now has 270 lbft torque and some of this i'm sure is down to the better flowing exhaust,especially the front end.That figure was before revo st2 and fmic,hopefully bhp has improved ,we shall see on sat at amd.
  14. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Member

Milltek do make a DP and CAT for the TQS:

http://www.icjperformance.co.uk/product-view.asp?ID=211

That'll be £805. Previous posts have already mentioned the benefits of the DP and CAT, but on a bang/buck basis that's a ridiculous price considering it won't give anywhere near remap improvements yet is nearly twice the price.

Granted it's a necassery evil on the way to bigger power, but my understanding of the original question was whether this is necassery; which it still isn't.
  15. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

It is a bit dear for what you get,but mine didn't cost me nowhere near that much,i had a good price on the downpipe/cat and the s3 miltek was s/hand.It depends how far you want to go,budget etc ,if he's happy with remap then thats it ,but theres no point in spending money on anything else tuning wise until the exhaust restriction is removed.Cheers Andy
  16. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

I just had a look at that miltek frontpipe link,it doesn't look that great anyway.I bet blueflame could make a full system for less than that.
  17. jonS3

jonS3 Member

I had a DC2, it was a mint 2000 Black UK model, had it a year, and loved it so much, some idiot pulled out in front of me in january and it got written off :(

love my S3 though, and nice to have a change, agree with you on when its warm :arco:
  18. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

Rolling road result 250 bhp 295 lbft from a lowly ko3s ,mods on tq's do work,cheers Andy
  19. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

That's some really good numbers Andy. Very impressive, especially the torque.

Get the dyno plots up :D
  20. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

I shall post up graphs as soon as i can get my scanner to work.I was hoping for a good result but the figures were better than i hoped for,but still only 25 bhp, 25 lbft better than last amd run which was revo st1 and no fmic.Better fuel this time too helped.