Revo 2.0TDi DSG remap = 202BHP!

cosmicblue

Reaction score
Yes it is true - just got back from Stealth Racing @ Southam having had my TDi remapped on the rollers. The plots are beside me now - I don't have a scanner any more so I'll try with the digi camera later

Stock it made 164.2 BHP, not at all bad for TDi140 - I didn't make a note of the stock torque.

With the remap loaded we got 202.6 BHP@ 3935rpm and 286.9 Ib/ft of torque @ 3331rpm.

So what does it drive like? Without wishing to sound stupid, it feels the same but with a bigger push - pulling away on the greasy roads is as easy as before but as soon as 2nd gear is selected its off - BIG time!

I'll report on changes to fuel economy next week when I'm racking the miles up again.

I should add that Vince @ Stealth is a good guy, clearly with considerable experience in this area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Stock it made 164.2 BHP, not at all bad for TDi140 - I didn't make a note of the stock torque.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to put a pisser on things, but the rollers sound a bit optermistic. 20 bhp over what VAG state as the stock output seems rather high. Which would mean your remapped output is probably near 180/190 than 200 bhp.

I'd be interested to see the graphs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to put a pisser on things, but the rollers sound a bit optermistic. 20 bhp over what VAG state as the stock output seems rather high. Which would mean your remapped output is probably near 180/190 than 200 bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair comment, it is well known that Audi/VW significantly underrate their engine power outputs.

The rollers have recently been re-calibrated and these are the same ones that MikeP used a week or so ago for a similar remap and recorded a 187bhp.

Fair enough, just seem a little high thats all, remember the figure of 140 for a tdi is in PS not BHP so the output of a 2.0 TDI is about 137bhp ish not 140.

[ QUOTE ]
Mine made 187.7bhp and 293lb ft when we did the code development a couple of weeks ago. We used Vince's rollers then and saw no reason to doubt the figures, Vince knows his stuff. My graphs are here:
http://www.pragmatik-ict.co.uk/audi.cms

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeP, comparing the your development code graphs and mine it would appear that the map has been improved considerably - the power plot is a virtually straight line to peak power, and the torque plot is a pretty smooth curve - no big bumps. Just trying the digi camera bit now.

wow, looks like a perfect remap.

I just checked with Mitchell, they tweaked the code again after the initial development on my car, so thanks to John, I'm loading the updated code onto the car this afternoon! Shame it's a bit icy.......

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the rollers could be about 10bhp over. Around 155bhp is what I have seen regularly measured for stock 140s. If it does have 164bhp before and 202bhp after, I think either the rollers are wrong or there is another factor involved for why that particular engine to be so far from official figures.

Anyhow, it's how it performs on the road that matters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the rollers could be about 10bhp over. Around 155bhp is what I have seen regularly measured for stock 140s. If it does have 164bhp before and 202bhp after, I think either the rollers are wrong or there is another factor involved for why that particular engine to be so far from official figures.

Anyhow, it's how it performs on the road that matters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, the proof is in the pudding so to speak - so let's see how the next week goes.

i had this problem when i had mine on the rollers at power engineering,because the dsg is effectivley an auto,accurate readings cant be given,or they can but only estimates,which is what i had for mine,i think it was only wheel figs they could give as accurate,cant remember for sure,

when i was watching the computor screen it went well over 200 bhp,but the estimate was around the 170 bhp mark

The only way to get accurate readings is to use manual mode, my readings were done in 4th. This gives speeds up to about 100 and covers the full rev range.

The only problem was changing gear can only be done with the handbrake off on later DSG gearboxes, which meant the front and back of the car had to be lashed down.

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to get accurate readings is to use manual mode, my readings were done in 4th. This gives speeds up to about 100 and covers the full rev range.

The only problem was changing gear can only be done with the handbrake off on later DSG gearboxes, which meant the front and back of the car had to be lashed down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm this, Vince at Stealth lashed the car down, chocked the rear wheels and had the car in manual mode - 4th gear. I was able to stand there and watch.

Having covered a couple of hundred miles now with the remap on board I'm beginning to form a view that it is almost too powerful/torquey for an everyday road car.

I recall reading on here before that someone suggested that re-educating ones right foot is really essential.

Those that have driven a standard 2.0TDi will know that the power delivery isn't exactly subtle - between the idle speed of say 850 rpm and 4000rpm it all happens - both max torque and max power occur below 4k. With the remap the same characteristics remain except that it is even more violent - vicious is the kindest expression.

Yesterday afternoon I pulled out on to a roundabout being as gentle as I could in D mode - I saw 3rd on the gear indicator and the traction/ESP light was flashing away.....the road looked dry.

I love the extra power - it requires absolute maximum respect though with a very light foot.

Fuel economy - my 75 mile commute previously saw an average of 47.5mpg, this morning it was down to 46.2 so the penalty seems minimal.

That 'vicious' sensation is attributable to a 'lump' in the power curve pop - at around 1500rpm through to 2,500rpm there is a noticeable increase in power that smooths out again.

It is this bump that provides the surprise when trying to accelerate smoothly......

[ QUOTE ]
That 'vicious' sensation is attributable to a 'lump' in the power curve pop - at around 1500rpm through to 2,500rpm there is a noticeable increase in power that smooths out again.

It is this bump that provides the surprise when trying to accelerate smoothly......

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say I've noticed it.