*Review* So I bought an android head unit (single din) thoughts inside, and slight help needed!

vettahead

Reaction score
Well i went ahead, threw caution to the wind and fitted myself a flip out singe din android head unit, did some research and this looked like the best solution, here is the one I purchased ( I have since ordered a new one from china , ill update the thread when it arrives. I also purchased a loom, This one (the one advised by Dynamic sounds)

The Gear
71zWHHIs-yL._SL1001_.jpg

FKIT-AUDI-03-840x840.jpg

The install

I have an 05 sportback with the concert 8P0 0 35 186 C and being completely new to this type of thing i sought help. I got this from the lovable cockney rouges at dynamic sound, asking them what to buy was slightly embarrassing as my gap in knowledge was obvious but hey, ya gotta start somewhere right. I have no controls on the wheel but the chap told me this kit was the correct one as it automatically makes the ignition live work ( probably easy but i didn't fancy electrocuting myself) IT also seems to have lots of other things i cant use (like the outs for speakers, more on that later)

It all landed the day after and being the impatient and self assured idiot i am i waded in straight away pulling out the old stereo without realising i need a code to get it to work if i ever reinstall it... It came out easy enough but then....I HAVE A 5 CD CHANGER. WHAT ARE ALL THESE CONNECTORS??!!? A bottle of becks later i feel slightly more composed for the task at hand and set about working out what ones are now redundant. I then hook up the loom i purchased and look at that, it works! well sort of.. I have front audio and no rear (i have speakers and it was working previously, the radio is frankly crap too ( i now know i need a 12v feed to it but no ida on what wire that is yet. but I have sound and a screenthat works with the key so for now thats great! i push it in for a first fit with the blanking plate and while it has blue leds (not the one ive bought to replace it though!!) All in it took me about an hour and a half, but i have no experience, i think i could do it not in 25 mins easy.

In slumber mode

Boot

Yes you can set the boot logo to audi, i did a little squee when I found that! Now that its in im in my area of expertise and get around to skinning and getting the best apps for it.

The Unit

The unit itself runs on Android 4.4 Kit Kat and had a Rockchip PX3 Cortex A9 Quad Core 1.6GHz chipset and DDR3 1GB of ram. It runs smoothly and I must admit to being impressed by its lythe nature. The screen itself is what youd expect from a WVGA screen, id like to have seen a 1024 one to be honest. (while on the whole its decent and the capacitive nature makes it easy to use.) IT also comes with I-go installed (and does not need your phone to be connected for anything to work but if it is you get live traffic updates) and maps on a handy 8 gig micro usb. The sat nav is good and before i got it was going to change it out. but its decent enough not to bother. The other apps that come with it while functional are not that good. the music player is basic and the ipod connector doesn't even search through the music. This is easily foxed though by installing your own ( I find poweramps swipe nature brilliant for the car) It has wifi too so you can connect your phone tether and your away. The phone connectivity if functional and it pulls your numbers easily enough but the inbuilt mic is not the best (it works though). I used nova launcher to skin it (even though they tell you its not possible to skin it) and added an icon pack i like. pretty easy and straight forward stuff.

Home screen

Widget for time off the play store and the music widget is powerbars stock one.

Sat Nav

Powerbar

Sound
Out the box.. it was *****, this could be to not having rear speakers? but using the inbuillt amp eq and powerbars enhancement features helped me dail in a really good sound. so yes. its sounds great with a little tweaking.

Conclusion

All being told im really happy with it (besides the blue lights and its great making your older audi a full entertainment system (it has a dvd player too if you want to watch, films?) and the build quality while not being absolute top notch its pretty good. the front lcd is pointless though and id have preferred for that to dissaprear. IF your looking for a reasonable priced unit to drag your car into the sat nav era in one fell swoop id recommend it .

If anyone who reads this can help with the rear speaker issue or what wire is the 12v to power the radio if be most grateful!

Going forward i have oreded a new one with dab and a higher res screen ( and red leds - yes.. it matters :) when that arrives ill do another one of these if there is interest :)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: