Reversing Camera

Geoffads

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried one of the wireless reversing cameras? Interested to hear any experiences.

Cheers

Yes I have fitted a few. They work ok.
Dont use the rev lamps as you may get interference from the multiplexed signals.
At the rear I wire them to be permanently on. (pos from wiper motor on Audi.)
Front just to the pos and cam wires on the head unit.

Reactions: Geoffads
I think you might be right, it looked quite daunting when I first looked but I reckon I'll be ok.

Would you be able to take few pics of when your doing the wiring as im planning to do this on my headunit too, would appreciate it

I think you might be right, it looked quite daunting when I first looked but I reckon I'll be ok.
Would you be able to take few pics of when your doing the wiring as im planning to do this on my headunit too, would appreciate it

It's actually very easy. I have done this half a year ago.

* Start from the headunit getting the cable through centre console under the plastic which is below the steering wheel
* Remove the plastic trim between the floor and the doors, route the cable through there
* The cable should now be almost in the boot, raise it through C pillar all the way to the top of the boot lid
* Run it down the side of boot lid (all behind the plastic trims of course)
* Connect it to the camera

Make sure to give the +12V constant feed to the camera, otherwise it won't work. Getting the +12V from reverse light will NOT work on 8P as it is CAN BUS controlled. Just get a +12V feed from rear wiper motor or +12V outlet in the boot (if you don't have a socket for +12V in the boot, you still have the wiring, it takes 2minutes to find a proper wire with engine off).

Reactions: Geoffads and FaisalFazeli
It's actually very easy. I have done this half a year ago.

* Start from the headunit getting the cable through centre console under the plastic which is below the steering wheel
* Remove the plastic trim between the floor and the doors, route the cable through there
* The cable should now be almost in the boot, raise it through C pillar all the way to the top of the boot lid
* Run it down the side of boot lid (all behind the plastic trims of course)
* Connect it to the camera

Make sure to give the +12V constant feed to the camera, otherwise it won't work. Getting the +12V from reverse light will NOT work on 8P as it is CAN BUS controlled. Just get a +12V feed from rear wiper motor or +12V outlet in the boot (if you don't have a socket for +12V in the boot, you still have the wiring, it takes 2minutes to find a proper wire with engine off).
I'm halfway through this, I ran the cable from the stereo, behind the glovebox, up the windscreen pillar, across the roof and I now have the cable coming out the back.
I can't see how to get it from there to the door of the boot. The guide says to just run it through the pipe in the hinge but I can't see how you do it. Got all the roof trim apart.

It's all been pointless, the new camera isn't the same size or fitment as the number plate light housing. All back together again now.

i would have thought that's the first thing you would have checked.

Reactions: ch1z64 and FaisalFazeli
It's all been pointless, the new camera isn't the same size or fitment as the number plate light housing. All back together again now.

Just get the cable throught the boot lid hinges into the boot lid and then down behind the plastic trim around the rear windscreen to the number plate area.

Right!! I'm almost finished. All I have left to do is the +12V feed, but have never really done wiring so not too confident.

I've checked the 4 wires that plug into the wiper motor and they're all live, but they're not the colours I was expecting. (Photo below)
Which one do I use and how best to connect? And where do I connect the black wire?

There are also red wires on each end of the long cable with the yellow plugs, do they need to be earthed anywhere?

IMG 0603

Sorted it, cheated and got a mechanic friend to figure it out.

Next job is the aerial, got a booster and run power to it. But the reception is still crap.

Glad you sorted it out mate. My reception is terrible as well, if you find a way to fix it, please update here. :D

The standard stereo held perfect reception, the new one up and down like a whore's drawers. The booster makes a slight improvement when it has power.

Right, bit of a newbie question here, can anyone give me a dummies guide to fitting a wireless camera to my android head unit

Sorted it, cheated and got a mechanic friend to figure it out.

Next job is the aerial, got a booster and run power to it. But the reception is still ****.

Which one is the 12v, going to attempt this next weekend

Got the genuine Audi F & R camera in mine & would be one thing I would defiantly have as an option.

Wiper should have constant 12V. Boot 12V socket as well if you have one.

Right I’ve wired it to the wiper but now the led’s on the camera are on the whole time !!