1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse lights

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Timmc, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Timmc

Timmc Member

I've noticed the last couple of days that when i put the car in reverse the reverse lights were flickering and going on and off, and last night i didnt have any at all.
    The bulbs are fine so was thinking the problem is the reverse light switch itself. Anyone had to change this before, if so is it an easy job to do? Just going to pop down to TPS to try and get one now.
  2. FazS3

FazS3 Member

yeah had similar prob,didnt change it myself,but is a quick and easy job to,my one had to be changed from underneath the car
  3. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Probably the reverse light switch, i think its located somewhere near the gearbox...
  4. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

Mine did the same then eventually went. Reverse light switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. j4jon

j4jon Member

I had the same but it was the wires where they went into the connector, they broke off. I bought a new connector and wire from Audi and soldered them on.
  6. Timmc

Timmc Member

what an absolutly ridiculous place that switch is, took me ages to get to it and once I got there it wasn't the switch, it was the wires that go into the connector, one of them has broken so need to get a new connector and rejoin the wires to it.
  7. j4jon

j4jon Member

You need to get the connector and the pins separate. You get 2 pins joined by a piece of wire. You need to cut the piece of wire in half which gets you the 2 pins for the connector and then you can solder or crimp the new bits of wire to the originals. If one wire into the connector has broken the other won't be far behind. One dealer told me that you couldn't buy the connector on its own and that you could only get it as part of a loom, tried another dealer and they ordered in the connector and the pins with the wire no problem was about £10 from memory.