1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revamping brake calipers, suggestions?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by JD09, Apr 15, 2010.

1. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

Hi guys and gals.

I know there are a few companies out there that will revamp your brake calipers for you, so sand blast, repaint/powder coat and then replace all seals etc (Bigg Red for example).

However, my seals are in fine condition, but I want the calipers to look a little better (currently "brake dust black" and pitted!). Would somewhere like a powder coaters (the link in the City Powder Coaters thread perhaps?) be able to sort this for me? Just so the colour is nice and flat, not brushed on like these Halfrauds kits!

Many thanks for any advice.

JD
  2. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I just wire brushed them down, cleaned them up with brake cleaner, masked them off then painted them red. I also got some white audi logos for a few squid off ebay to finish the look. If I was ever in a position where the whole caliper was removed I'd get them professionally done like you mentioned.
  3. JD09

That was my initial thought fella, but have done them on the car before and ended up chipping and looking worse than before after a couple of months :(

Any pics at all lad? Red was the colour of choice :)
  4. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I have some photos somewhere at home, I'll dig them out if I remember. Mine look **** again already after 10 months, I think its a job that needs to be done once a year to keep them looking mint.
  5. JD09

That's the thing. I'd rather take them off, take them to a powder coater and get it done 100%. Would appreciate some photos chap, nice one.
  6. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

7. JD09

Looks good fella, how're they holding up? I painted my last calipers white but the paint chipped within months :( Looked worse than before as above :(
  8. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

well I done them last may and still looks fresh when clean, I gave them three coats over a weekend
  9. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

i painted mine with high temp paint on me scoob... they looked good over a year later, just gotta keep em clean when ya wash ya car.

best pic i can find of my rear wheel...

[​IMG]

also painted some bits on the engine,

[​IMG]

and same on the Audi...
    [​IMG]

and.... i still have enough to paint the calipers on the a3.. not bad for £6!!
  10. Y83OLK

Y83OLK Hulk Smash!

I fancy finding a scrapped octavia VRS and having the lime green callipers off.... Think they would look pretty darn swish with a green car.
  11. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Green calipers would look awesome on any car...I might get some for mine to match my springs and brake pads :)
  12. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

i gone with stealthy black for my r32 calipers and plan on getting red audi rings decals for them

didnt want to go with red as all my calipers have been red on previous cars, but wasnt sure what other colour would look good :s

to be honest im changing my mind about the black rapidly and theyre not even on yet lol
  13. 5ean

5ean S3 Owner

I'm thinking of having my front calipers off at some point (maybe take a week off work and spend it all on the car..) and get them fire brushed down and properly painted.. I recently done my rear calipers in silver (silver S3) and it looks a hundred times better than brake dust black.

I take it if one were to remove the front calipers its just a quick bleed of the fronts once they are re-attached?