Rev surge for a moment from light to heavy accelleration

jimmyjoejethrojimbob

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker..... :)

I have a problem with my 08 plate Audi A3 S3 which is totally standard other that a GIAC pump map and flash loader, 28k miles, regularly dealer serviced. The problem manifests when I am using the pump map and I am applying light throttle at low to mid revs (2500-4000) especially noticed in 3rd/4th gear. Then when I accelerate hard (no gear change) the engine revs surge for a moment by ~500rpm without that power being felt in the accelleration, before dropping back and following a pretty normal power curve up through the gear.

It seems almost as if the clutch is slipping momentarily, or the wheels have spun - but there is no esp indication and the gear seems normal other than the momentary surge. There is plenty of power being transferred when it does get to the wheels. Also I cant recreate the issue on the standard map.

Please note that the dealer is going to be changing the rear axle/diff/haldex/oojamaflip under warrantee so hopefully its connected.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? I am going to speak to Regal who I bought the map from, but experience and suggestions appreciated.

Yeah defo clutch......im having same issues with mine will probably upgrade to the Sachs race clutch to take the extra torque.....

Thanks everyone. Looks like Ill have to run the std map as a work around until I save up. I have a couple more questions - typically answers lead to more questions ;) Is it a common problem with performance maps and the oem clutch slipping? Its probably been remapped for only the last 2k of its life - does anyone know what the power the oem part is rated to? Are aftermarket clutches worth the extra ££, and how different to they feel from std? Cheers, Jim

Ive just spoked to a mate of mine whos a mechanic and he says ill probably get away with the oem sachs unit (currently on a LUK) not sure what the torque ratings are but im only running stg 1 some guys are using this clutch on stg 2 with no issues... i believe the race clutches are much "bitier" and obviously stiffer pedal feel and the sachs race one is rated 480+NM of torque.

Please note that the dealer is going to be changing the rear axle/diff/haldex/oojamaflip under warrantee so hopefully its connected.

:sign_welcome: to the forum mate and let the modding begin

How come you are having the rear axle etc replaced??? Whats the issue?
Mines going in Friday has I have found an oil leak on the haldex unit

Hi to everyone, I've also been looking on here a while!!!

My s3 is doing exactly the same. Its amd chipped to 320 bhp ish with full milltek exhaust.

I think I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket and get the Sachs SRE performance clutch set and one mass flywheel. Is it well worth the money? Been trying to find out info on here about them.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the useful and honest help. Since earlier posts I have had the rear haldex changed out as I reported excessive noise to audi and they agreed. Slight complication in that the Audi garage fitted the prop shaft coupler round the wrong way... They sorted that out today though thank goodness. The clutch problem remains, so Ill be looking at having that done under warrantee. I have spoken to the dealership about warrantee issues if I were to have it GIAC mapped. They told me that as long as it doesnt prevent their fiurmware updates I will be ok. Which is great news - now I can demonstrate the clutch slippage with the remap applied without fearing the wrath of Audi contract nazis. Whoop! Ill update this post with the final outcome.

hey guys, need help! my car is 09 s3 with cai and milltek tbe, no remap, with 8500km on the clock. but seems that i'm having the same problem. when i'm driving and then accelerate hard, rev needle jumps then holds (even goes back a little) and then begins to accelerate. as i remember when i did the exhaust mod the car was accelerating instantly, and now there is that "delay". is it a clutch slip, or it's a standard thing, or something else? thanks for help!

Sounds like it. Mines has just under 20k miles and was slipping when l had the giac extremme map on it. Seems to have went away for a month but reared its head today again.

mine is without remap. maybe it has more power than it should have :eyebrows:

I have spoken to the dealership about warrantee issues if I were to have it GIAC mapped. They told me that as long as it doesnt prevent their fiurmware updates I will be ok. Which is great news - now I can demonstrate the clutch slippage with the remap applied without fearing the wrath of Audi contract nazis. Whoop! Ill update this post with the final outcome.

I know it's a little OT,but you're a lucky man with your local dealer there.

Mine goes into the usual waarnty void rant every time anything non-standard is mentioned.

On the clutch issue,the Sachs is a very good compromise between a full race clutch,which will be virtually unusable on the road in traffic(I've had a paddle clutch before),and the useless LUK item which has the build qualities of rice paper.

I have spoken to a salesman at mine as well. If it is slipping in stanard map then they will cover it, but last time l tried it wouldnt slip.

I have spoken to a salesman at mine as well. If it is slipping in stanard map then they will cover it, but last time l tried it wouldnt slip.

That's the problem....the OEm clutch (LUK) is marginal even with a stock engine,but will last reasonably well under those conditions,but to demonstrate slip,you would need to let them know you'd remapped it.....and say goodbye to the warranty.

i thought that facelift s3-s have sachs clutch?

... I have spoken to the dealership about warrantee issues if I were to have it GIAC mapped. They told me that as long as it doesnt prevent their fiurmware updates I will be ok. Which is great news - now I can demonstrate the clutch slippage with the remap applied without fearing the wrath of Audi contract nazis. Whoop! Ill update this post with the final outcome.

:anbet: You got to name that dealer mate. Although I guess you are dahn saff.