1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrofitting TTRS steering to S3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Rabbit222, Jan 19, 2010.

1. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jul 29, 2011]
    Nope, its not mate as there is no B8 RS4 & thats not a B7 RS4 wheel, someone has purely badged it as RS4
  2. martinivw

martinivw :)

[Jul 29, 2011]
    Agreed, you can badge the wheels with any model type,
    I really gotta get myself one of the chunky rs fbmfsw with NO badge on it :) and new style airbag cover :) ;) :)
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Jul 30, 2011]
    LMFAO - I was going to step in, but Nigel's already said everything I would have said, its funny how people get sucked in badges :laugh:
  4. Lima

Lima AUSmotive.com

[Aug 21, 2011]
    I went ahead and ordered the "RS6" steering wheel from Europrice. It arrived on Friday and today was as good a day as any to attempt a DIY install. Pretty straightforward it was too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started by watching the video below and reading these instructions...

The only real snag was removing the airbag plug. I found it quite hard to slide back the release clip (see URL above). I made a DIY removal tool from an old coat hanger and then it was plain sailing.

As per the instructions I disconnected the battery. Once the wheel was back on I reconnected the battery and the DIS was speaking to me in German. It also beeped with an ESP error message. My ESP and airbag warning lights were also lit up on the dash. I got everything back into English and started the car a few times, still the ESP warning lights were active.

I then went for a short drive and the ESP and airbag lights went off after a few hundred metres of driving. Prior to them going off I tried to manually switch the ESP/ASR off but nothing would happen while the warning lights were active. Once they went out though I could manually switch off ESP/ASR as normal.

I stopped after a kilometre or so and turned the car off, removed the key and started up again. All perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (It's the orange release clip at top of frame that I had trouble with. It's a simple procedure, I just found it hard to get a decent grip with my hands. However, with my DIY removal tool, shown below, it was quite straightforward to pull the clip towards me and then the rest of the plug followed. Easy when you know how!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (That's the new s/wheel with its shower cap on! Back of airbag unit/horn boss top right and DIY removal tool in lower right of frame.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (No more warning lights!)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  5. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Aug 21, 2011]
    That's a great post, Lima. Steering wheel is pretty far down my list though, but looks spot on!
  6. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Aug 22, 2011]
    Lovely Lima, you enjoying it fella?
  7. Lima

Lima AUSmotive.com

[Aug 23, 2011]
    Yes mate, it's fantastic.

The leather even has a nicer, more tactile feel than the OEM s/wheel. :racer:
  8. spider74

spider74 Member

[Jun 6, 2013]
    anyone know if you can get the RS6 wheel with black or preferably red stitching? my gear gaitor has red stitching on the black leather so would be nice to match! (i know petty)
  9. willz17

willz17 Member

[Oct 19, 2013]
    Sorry to bring up a slightly old thread guys,
    but I have a same shape steering wheel with all the buttons etc.
    however mine says ttrs on the badge where someone has retrofitted it.
    Would it be possible to change the badge to a S3 one? I need a part number from Audi I guess?

let me know
    thanks guys