1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrofitting Cruise Control

tonya4 Dec 6, 2010

1. tonya4

tonya4 TDi Powerrrr

My 2000 w reg a4 tdi hasn't got cruise control,but my 2001 y reg a4 tdi breaker has,so i'm wondering how hard it is to fit the cruise control to the w reg?Both cars are ajm engine code.
    thanks
    tony

2. Tuffty

Tuffty Member

I think i's fairly straight forward, basicly swapping the stalks and a bit of loom and then recoding with vag-com, but i may be wrong

3. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

I think awesome-gti do this

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

as tuffty says, swap the stalk and fit the pins into the ECU connector, then turn the feature "on" with vagcom.

Not sure if the OEM loom will come out easily though

5. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

Axios has fitted cruise control to his b5, could have a chat with him on here and see if he could help.

6. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Audi S8 Team Akoya TDi saloon

Yup, i've got the stalk installed but not had chance to do the wiring bit of it yet.
    Its on my ever growing wiring lift.

You will need to remove:=-
    The small section of plastic around the steering wheel.
    Remove the clocks.
    You dont really need to remove all of the above but it will make it easier for you to remove the section of loom your after.
    But you will need to remove the steering wheel, stalks and lower section.

I assume the CC wires are packed in with the rest of the cables from the stalk, if this is the case then you'll need to remove the CC cables from the main loom and carefully remove the pins from the ECU block (white i think). This will be a bit of a pain in the ass, so i'd opt for the other option of taking the stalk off the breaker and buy the loom from kufatec.de
    Its a simple plug and play in to your new motor and access to vagcom.

Hope it helps.

7. Izzy1

Izzy1 Vorsprung Durch Technik

isn't there an issue of if the gas pedal is driven by wire or something?
    I've fitted one on my Bora (2001) as indicated, didn't realise the Audi (2000) would have the same process. thought is was a lot more tricky...

8. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Audi S8 Team Akoya TDi saloon

If its fly by wire, then its plug and play.
    So I've read.

9. aragorn

Yep, DBW is easy.

Cable throttle cars are an ****, although i had the old FWD fitted up with cruise after a lot of messing about.

10. Izzy1

Izzy1 Vorsprung Durch Technik

how do you know if your car if DBW or the other?

11. olds_kool

olds_kool Active Member VCDS Map User

all tdi's are dbw, most facelift petrol are except qts, petrols will have an epc warning light (electronic pedal control?)

12. dstructiv

dstructiv Member

quick test for DBW is to accelerate as normal then press the brake with your left foot if the revs die off its DBW

13. aragorn

I dont think that happens on all DBW cars?

14. fARQUARE

fARQUARE Member

It used to work in my old 1.8t, not tried it on the tdi...

One thing i always wondered though is does this make 'heel & toeing' impossible in dbw cars?

15. ScottD3

or just look for a throttle cable?

I'm having issues with my CC wiring. Its doing my head in.
    I just can't get my head around it.
    I can wire in rear electric windows but not 5 wires for CC. lol

16. pjw

pjw Member Audi A4

The thing your on about above used to work in diesel cars as a fuel cutoff. Easiest thing to do is just look for a cable at the inlet surely?

17. I was told to have the car in neutral, raise the revs to around 2000 and touch the brake pedal at the same time with your left foot, if the revs die to idle it's FBW